Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Guys I need help with my grammar ,here are few of the sentences where i am getting stuck ,

1 > The Hotel where the intelligence agents were staying at was bombed by the terrorists .
2>Injustice is so rampant around us that everyone does not get what is due to them.
3>Of all the men I know ,none is less inclined than he to talk ill of others.
4>The last few week have seen an outpouring of anger alleged western media bias that calls for apologies from leading foreign news media and even advocates the boycott of certain foreign business with large scale online petitions

Please suggest me how to spot errors if any in the above sentences and how to correct them

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Guys I need help with my grammar ,here are few of the sentences where i am getting stuck ,

1 > The Hotel where the intelligence agents were staying at was bombed by the terrorists .
2>Injustice is so rampant around us that everyone does not get what is due to them.
3>Of all the men I know ,none is less inclined than he to talk ill of others.
4>The last few week have seen an outpouring of anger alleged western media bias that calls for apologies from leading foreign news media and even advocates the boycott of certain foreign business with large scale online petitions

Please suggest me how to spot errors if any in the above sentences and how to correct them

Which part are you stuck with in each sentence? One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all.

abhishiek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which part are you stuck with in each sentence? One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all.

Yea i am sorry bout the space and comma error ,dint know that ,punctuation marks is due to my haste , apart from that i would like to know how to correct the sentences,

I know in the first sentence "at" should be removed but don't know y grammatically ,or the sentence can be rewritten to make it correct.Same for the second sentence .Can you shed some light on why we are performing these actions ,and when they should be performed in the future if similar case arises .

In the other two i don't know whether there is error or not

Cheers

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are in too much of a hurry to punctuate correctly, especially after being corrected , then I don't think many teachers will be in too much of a hurry to help you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, abhishiek.

We are happy to help when we can, but we like to think that people read and take notice of our responses. ems wrote, "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma." You ignored this in your next post. Is there any point in our responding, if you are going to ignore what we say?

If you are serious about improving your English, try posting your message again, after correcting it - bearing in mind what ems said. Also, please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'.

abhishiek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Welcome to the forum, abhishiek.

We are happy to help when we can, but we like to think that people read and take notice of our responses. ems wrote, "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma." You ignored this in your next post. Is there any point in our responding, if you are going to ignore what we say?

If you are serious about improving your English, try posting your message again, after correcting it - bearing in mind what ems said. Also, please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'.

I am really sorry about carelessness ,i was maybe little inconsiderate and will try not to repeat it in the future ."One should be humble while one is learning" ,so the revised set of questions are

3>Of all the men I know, none is less inclined than he to talk ill of others.
4>The last few weeks have seen an outpouring of anger alleged western media bias that calls for apologies from leading foreign news media and even advocates the boycott of certain foreign business with large scale online petitions.

Hope We can start afresh

Cheers

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am really sorry about carelessness ,i was maybe little inconsiderate and will try not to repeat it in the future ."One should be humble while one is learning" ,so the revised set of questions are [...]
abhishiek, if you want us to help you, you must try to help yourself. In the words I have quoted above, you have, once again, completely ignored what ems said.

As Soothing Dave said, "If you are in too much of a hurry to punctuate correctly, especially after being corrected , then I don't think many teachers will be in too much of a hurry to help you."

Try again, but remember:

ems: "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all."

5jj: "Please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Word, then comma, then space. Simple.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
abhishiek, if you want us to help you, you must try to help yourself. In the words I have quoted above, you have, once again, completely ignored what ems said.

As Soothing Dave said, "If you are in too much of a hurry to punctuate correctly, especially after being corrected , then I don't think many teachers will be in too much of a hurry to help you."

Try again, but remember:

ems: "One of the main errors is that you have put a space before a comma and you haven't put a space after a comma. That is the wrong way round. You have also failed to end two of your sentences with a punctuation mark at all."

5jj: "Please remember to use a capital letter for the first person pronoun 'I'."

Once again, the word "troll" comes to mind.

abhishiek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Once again, the word "troll" comes to mind.

Thanks for being patient, I am not a native English speaking guy and this comma rule was alien to me, Now I know it and will be more careful in the future. I am also annoyed that I repeated the mistake twice.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

1 > The Hotel where the intelligence agents were staying [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] (no "at") was bombed by the terrorists.
2>Injustice is so rampant around us that nobody gets what is due to them.
3>Of all the men I know, (See ems's and 5jj's posts.) none is less inclined than he is to talk ill of others.
4>The last few weeks have seen an outpouring of anger at alleged western media bias that calls for apologies from leading foreign news media and even advocates the boycott of certain foreign businesses with large scale online petitions.

See my suggestions above in red. :)

Last edited:

abhishiek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

See my suggestions above in red. :)

You are removing "at" because it is redundant after"where" has been specified ??
I appreciate your help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are removing "at" because it is redundant after "where" has been specified?[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]
I appreciate your help.

It is nice to see that you appreciate some people's help. It would be equally nice if you thanked those of us who tried to help you with your punctuation which is (and this may come as a surprise) as important as grammar.

Please see my amendments above in red. One question mark is sufficient and we do not put a space before a question mark, full stop, comma or exclamation mark.

abhishiek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is nice to see that you appreciate some people's help. It would be equally nice if you thanked those of us who tried to help you with your punctuation which is (and this may come as a surprise) as important as grammar.

Please see my amendments above in red. One question mark is sufficient and we do not put a space before a question mark, full stop, comma or exclamation mark.

Roger that.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is my explanation for usage of "at" correct?

Hello.:-D
It (=where) is a relative adverb.
Please compare:
The Hotel which the intelligence agents were staying at was bombed by the terrorists.
The Hotel at which the intelligence agents were staying was bombed by the terrorists.
The Hotel where the intelligence agents were staying was bombed by the terrorists.

I hope you can understand what I mean.
:-D

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What is that supposed to mean?

I believe that this phrase comes from military (AmE) slang and it means "I understand you" or "I got it".

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe

abhishiek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello.:-D
It (=where) is a relative adverb.
Please compare:
The Hotel which the intelligence agents were staying at was bombed by the terrorists.
The Hotel at which the intelligence agents were staying was bombed by the terrorists.
The Hotel where the intelligence agents were staying was bombed by the terrorists.

I hope you can understand what I mean.
:-D

The terrorists bombed the hotel where the intelligence agents were staying.

Can I rephrase the sentence like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.