Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can we use "nervous" with "with" and say, e.g. Whenever my children don't study, I get nervous with my children, as in I'm happy / angry with my children?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can we use "nervous" with "with" and say, e.g. Whenever my children don't study, I get nervous with [STRIKE]my children[/STRIKE] them, as in I'm happy / angry with my children?
It doesn't sound right to me. Note, you wouldn't repeat "my children".

"Whenever my children don't study, I worry about their futures."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can we use "nervous" with "with" and say, e.g. Whenever my children don't study, I get nervous with my children, as in I'm happy / angry with my children?

It's not natural English to use "nervous" in that way. You could say "I get annoyed with my children when they don't study".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. Many European languages have a word similar in appearance to 'nervous' meaning 'on edge', 'tense', 'jittery', 'neurotic. In English, the word means this.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks very much.
But a general question, can we use "nervous" and "with" together? I mean can "with" be a preposition for "nervous" in any context? If yes, could you please give an example?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You can say, "I was nervous with excitement/anticipation/etc", but it's more usual to say "The anticipation made me (feel) nervous".

It's also possible to say, "I was very nervous with my first baby - I always felt I was about to drop her".

Note that the meaning in both cases is "anxious/worried".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks very much.
But a general question, can we use "nervous" and "with" together? I mean can "with" be a preposition for "nervous" in any context? If yes, could you please give an example?
You asked it as a general question, with an example. (Good work). And you've been answered generally, using the example you gave.
In short, no.

PS: I note 5jj's reply, which I agree with. I had thought of "I get nervous with my mother-in-law staying over." But this means "I get nervous when my mother-in-law stays over. That is, it's not really a "nervous with" collocation. I think the "first baby" example is of this type.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You asked it as a general question, with an example. (Good work). And you've been answered generally, using the example you gave.
In short, no.
I have given a couple of examples in which it's possible but, in general terms, I agree with Raymott's response.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You can say, "I was nervous with excitement/anticipation/etc", but it's more usual to say "The anticipation made me (feel) nervous".

It's also possible to say, "I was very nervous with my first baby - I always felt I was about to drop her".

Note that the meaning in both cases is "anxious/worried".
Just another point, I think it's possible and correct to replace "with" in your example about the baby with "about", isn't it? Does it make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.