• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

digital divide

" A great deal of attention is being paid today to the so-called digital divide-- the division of the world into the info rich and the info poor. And the divide does exist todaty. My wife and I lectured about this looming danger twenty years ago. There are reasons to be optimistc.
    There are tehnological reasons to hope the digital divide will narrow. As the Internet becomes more and more commercialized. ... As a result, I now believe the digital divide will narrow rather than widen in the years ahead. And that is very good news because the Internet may well be the most powerful tool for combating world poverty that we' ve ever had."

After you read the above , please tell me whether digital divide is getting worse because of the Internet or the world must guard against.
    Thank you indeed!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: digital divide

The digital divide is not getting worse. It will narrow. The writer thinks that this is a good thing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    The digital divide is not getting worse. It will narrow. The writer thinks that this is a good thing.
    Please note, I didn't ask whether the digital divide itself is a good or bad thing. I only ask you to objectively describe the digital divide according to the material. So , for it , we can think " to narrow ' means getting worse, on the contrary, to widen means getting better. Am I right?
    Now let me copy the original question: " Digital divide is something a. getting worse because of the Internet. b. the world must guard againt." which will you choose, please.
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    Please note, I didn't ask whether the digital divide itself is a good or bad thing. I only ask you to objectively describe the digital divide according to the material. So , for it , we can think " to narrow ' means getting worse, on the contrary, to widen means getting better. Am I right?
    Now let me copy the original question: " Digital divide is something a. getting worse because of the Internet. b. the world must guard againt." which will you choose, please.
    Thanks!
    Hi,

From 5jj's answer, and from the text itself, I believe none of the possible answers is correct. If the "digital divide" will narrow because of the Internet, then the Internet itself certainly won't make it worse. And if the author believes that this is a good thing, I don't see why the world should guard against it.

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    No.
    " A great deal of attention is being paid today to the so-called digital divide-- the division of the world into the info rich and the info poor. And the divide does exist todaty. My wife and I lectured about this looming danger twenty years ago.
    The divide is a danger
    There are reasons to be optimistic.There are tehnological reasons to hope the digital divide will narrow.
    The narrowing of the divide is considered a good thing
    As a result, I now believe the digital divide will narrow rather than widen in the years ahead. And that is very good news
    Clear?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

No.
    The divide is a dangerThe narrowing of the divide is considered a good thingClear?
    I agree with you. I came to know the topic is to judge whether you understand the whole context, not to ask you to objectively describe the digital divide itself. Am I right?
    Thank you for your reasonable explanation!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

No.
    The divide is a dangerThe narrowing of the divide is considered a good thingClear?
    Yes, it's clear!
    I agree with you. I came to know the topic is to judge whether you understand the whole context, not to ask you to objectively describe the digital divide itself. Am I right?
    Thank you for your reasonable explanation!