• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

to get off - to step down - to climb down

Hi eveybody.
    I''ve been studying some English phrasal verbs and today I've come across the verb "get off" in these 2 sentences:
    A - You're so lazy! Get off the couch and help me.
    B - Why don't you get off you bike and come inside?

I've looked up the definition of this verb and scrolling all the meanings down I've read: When you're standing, lying or sitting on something, such as a horse, bicycle, stage, platform or piece of forniture and you step down from it onto the ground, you get off it.
    Now, I'm wondering if "get off" with this meaning may be a synonim of "climb down" and "step down". Do you use these other two verbs with the same objects of "get off"? Does the definition I've given before works for "climb down" and "step down" too?

Thanks so much for you help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: to get off - to step down - to climb down

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    Hi eveybody.
    I''ve been studying some English phrasal verbs and today I've come across the verb "get off" in these 2 sentences:
    A - You're so lazy! Get off the couch and help me.
    B - Why don't you get off you bike and come inside?

I've looked up the definition of this verb and scrolling all the meanings down I've read: When you're standing, lying or sitting on something, such as a horse, bicycle, stage, platform or piece of forniture and you step down from it onto the ground, you get off it.
    Now, I'm wondering if "get off" with this meaning may be a synonim of "climb down" and "step down". Do you use these other two verbs with the same objects of "get off"? Does the definition I've given before works for "climb down" and "step down" too?

Thanks so much for you help
    To get off = to remove oneself from, and could be synonymous with "step down"/"climb down" in certain usage e.g. "get off/climb down from a ladder/roof" and "get off/step down from a ladder/platform/stage", but I would not consider the use of "climb down" or "step down" from a bycycle or horse. I think that before you would use any of the terms you should try to picture their use which might give you a better understanding of how to use.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    To get off = to remove oneself from, and could be synonymous with "step down"/"climb down" in certain usage e.g. "get off/climb down from a ladder/roof" and "get off/step down from a ladder/platform/stage", but I would not consider the use of "climb down" or "step down" from a bycycle or horse. I think that before you would use any of the terms you should try to picture their use which might give you a better understanding of how to use.

Thanks so much for your help. Could you help me picture their use, maybe with more examples or trying to explain a mothertongue when to use these three verbs?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    Thanks so much for your help. Could you help me picture their use, maybe with more examples or trying to explain a mothertongue when to use these three verbs?
    Only you can "picture", that is develop a mental image of the use of the other forms. Look up their definition and proceed from there.