Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. Wasn't it Malcolm, who declared, "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!"
2. Wasn't it Malcolm, who declared, "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!"?

Do native speakers use the first or second sentence in regard to punctuation?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
1. 2. Wasn't it Malcolm who declared, "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!"?

Hi Tan,

I'd go for #2 without the comma after Malcolm.

charliedeut

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi Tan,

I'd go for #2 without the comma after Malcolm.

charliedeut

1. 2. Wasn't it Malcolm who declared, "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!"

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tan Elaine 1.
2. Wasn't it Malcolm, who declared, "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!"?

Thanks, Charlie.

1. Could you explain why no question mark is needed although it is a question?

2. I notice that you have removed the comma after 'Malcolm', which was in the sentence I posted. What is the reason for removing it?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Tan,

I removed it because it is not necessary. And as was the case in your #2, the question mark is needed because, as you say, it is a question. Note that I did not remove the question mark.

charliedeut

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Charlie.

But I was taught that after a name, a comma is needed as the clause that follows it immediately is non-defining.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks, Charlie.

But I was taught that after a name, a comma is needed as the clause that follows it immediately is non-defining.

Hi Tan,

Wasn't it Malcolm "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!"? I have removed the part which, according to you, was non-defining. Does it make any sense?

Also, I believe this is called a "preparatory it" (or something similar), an introduction to the main clause: Malcolm declared "Why, that's the most hypocritical government since the world began!". So the person making the question just inverts it was to wasn't it and the rest remains the same.

charliedeut

Status
Not open for further replies.