Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1.let's go fishing. 2.let's go hunting. here ''fishing'' and ''hunting'' are infinitives or gerunds?.Because gerund always ends in - 'ing form'

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1.let's go fishing. 2.let's go hunting. here ''fishing'' and ''hunting'' are infinitives or gerunds?.Because gerund always ends in - 'ing form'
Infinitive forms never end in ing - unless that is part of the verb itself, for example, bring, cling, sing.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

An infinitive is the basic form a verb used with "to". In 'I want to read a book', "to read" is an infinitive.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
An infinitive is the basic form a verb used with to. In 'I want to read a book', "to read" is an infitive.

The bare infinitive is not preceded by 'to':

I can/must/will/don't swim.

Many people prefer to call a form such as 'to swim ' a to- infinitive.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Infinitive forms never end in ing - unless that is part of the verb itself, for example, bring, cling, sing.
Then is ''go fishing'' according to you a gerund? cause you mentioned above that
Infinitive forms never end in
ing - unless that is part of the verb itself, for example, bring, cling, sing.But i am confuses where is the preposition before ''fishing'' cause many books say that preposition is placed before the gerund in the case of intransitive verbs and the gerund works as a prepositional object and in the case of transitive verbs, the gerund works as a direct object of the transitive verbs.So is ''fishing'' a gerund of the verb ''go''?.If i make any mistake in course of writing, please forgive me.Thank you.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Then is ''go fishing'' according to you a gerund? cause you mentioned above that
Infinitive forms never end in
ing - unless that is part of the verb itself, for example, bring, cling, sing.But i am confuses where is the preposition before ''fishing'' cause many books say that preposition is placed before the gerund in the case of intransitive verbs and the gerund works as a prepositional object Do you mean "go on...ing?" Yes, I think the "...ing" here is a gerund - the object of the prepositon "on".
and in the case of transitive verbs, the gerund works as a direct object of the transitive verbs.
Yes, I think I can agree with you.
So is ''fishing'' a gerund of the verb ''go''?.If i make any mistake in course of writing, please forgive me.Thank you.

Hello, Babai.:-D
Well, you asked, "'fishing' and 'hunting' are infinitives or gerunds?"
5jj answered, "Infinitive forms never end in ing," which I think means "(if asked whether they are infinitives or gerunds, I'd say) they're definitely not infinitives." He didn't actually say they are gerunds.
I personally do not think they are gerunds, since "go" is an intransitive verb. Those "-ing forms" are not the objects of the verb "go". I think they are present participles.
However, it is one of the cases where labelling is meaningless. They are just "-ing forms". And...it is enough. Don't you think so?:-D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.