Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This emphasizes the fact that individuality and human experience are framed in sociocultural contexts. Do you happen to know what the underlined means? Why does devaluing the social world lose its relation to political action? This might need a technical knowledge.

330-57
ex)The notion that people are independent and self-determining entities hinders our understanding of the sociocultural contexts of human experience...In the process, human experience becomes strangely untied from the social and cultural environment. When the social world is devalued, social problems also lose their relation to political action. Most importantly, when cultural contexts are overlooked, we are unable to perceive the way self-understanding, gender, race, and ethnicity are all culturally defined and limited...

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
This emphasizes the fact that individuality and human experience are framed in sociocultural contexts. Do you happen to know what the underlined means? Why does devaluing the social world lost its relation to political action? This might need a technical knowledge.

330-57
ex)The notion that people are independent and self-determining entities hinders our understanding of the sociocultural contexts of human experience...In the process, human experience becomes strangely untied from the social and cultural environment. When the social world is devalued, social problems also lose their relation to political action. Most importantly, when cultural contexts are overlooked, we are unable to perceive the way self-understanding, gender, race, and ethnicity are all culturally defined and limited...

When the social aspects of human experience are devalued in relation to the individualistic aspects, political action focuses on the "freedom of the individual" at the expense of social justice. That's my take on it.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry I don't get it, Can you take an example?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To be honest, this comes across as waffle to me- I don't think there's much meaning to extract. Basically, we shouldn't over-emphasise the individual at the expense of the social context.

Status
Not open for further replies.