Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello, I have just found an interesting entry in Swan's Practical English Usage. It is about the the phrase 'no doubt'. In the book you find literally: No doubt means 'probably' or 'I suppose', not 'certainly'. Example: No doubt it'll rain soon. It seemed strange so I decided to search a bit and literally on every website, people said it is used when you are absolutely sure, which is in contradiction with Swan. What is the truth?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

Longman is in agreement with Swan.

2 no doubt used when you are saying that you think something is probably true : No doubt you’ll have your own ideas.
She was a top student, no doubt about it (= it is certainly true ) .

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/doubt_1

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
NOT A TEACHER

Longman is in agreement with Swan.

2 no doubt used when you are saying that you think something is probably true : No doubt you’ll have your own ideas.
She was a top student, no doubt about it (= it is certainly true ) .

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/doubt_1

To be quite honest, I am absolutely confused. Does 'no doubt' mean something different than 'no doubt about'?

Even by thinking about the sentence you quoted:No doubt you’ll have your own ideas. - NO (expressing negative) - DOUBTS (a feeling of unCERTAINTY - you'll have your own ideas ( the rest of the sentence is just confirming the fact that is certain that you will have your own ideas - who wouldn't have their own ideas? - It's certain)

MACMILLAN ONLINE DICTIONARY:

no doubt

In the first one, the certainty is also mentioned.
:?:

And apart from your sources:
What does no doubt mean? - Yahoo! Answers - saying you are 100% sure

What does no doubt mean? definition, meaning and pronunciation (Free English Language Dictionary) - saying the usage of 'no doubt' as an adverb is rare

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/43608-what-does-no-doubt-mean.html - Dr. Ibrahim says - 'no doubt' = shortened '
there is no doubt about it'

no doubt - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. - certainly is on the first place, the latter definition is probably - BUT Swan says that we do NOT use it for expressing
certainty
Hope you help me :)

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

To be quite honest, I am absolutely confused. Does 'no doubt' mean something different than 'no doubt about'?

I think so.

No doubt about it = you think that something is definitely true.
Without (a) doubt = you think that something is definitely true.
No doubt = you think that something is probably true.

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think so.

No doubt about it = you think that something is definitely true.
Without (a) doubt = you think that something is definitely true.
No doubt = you think that something is probably true.

So the sources above are mostly wrong, though written by natives or as a dictionary entry. I am confused because of the number of people saying the opposite of your definiton i.e. no doubt means certainty, but I am going to trust you. :)However, I do not think my teacher would actually belive it. Thanks for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.