Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 100
    #1

    There is not much of a change ...?

    Hi,

    What words can "there is not much of a" collocate with besides "difference", "change", or "secret",etc, as in "There is not much of a difference/change in price between the most recent two times" and "There is not much of a secret to success".

    I am asking this coz I want to make sure what kinds of words can go with this type of sentence. If you can provide more words that can collocate with it, I would highly appreciate it.

    Thanks!

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,215
    #2

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Google the phrase. Post any collocations you find that you question.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanx View Post
    Hi,

    What words can "there is not much of a" collocate with besides "difference", "change", or "secret",etc, as in "There is not much of a difference/change in price between the most recent two times" and "There is not much of a secret to success".

    I am asking this because I want to make sure what kinds of words can go with this type of sentence. If you can provide more words that can collocate with it, I would highly appreciate it.

    Thanks!
    You can put pretty much anything there, in the right context.
    "There's not much of a restaurant in this town."; "There isn't much of a fire in the fireplace."
    What word do you want to put there?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 100
    #4

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Google the phrase. Post any collocations you find that you question.
    Thanks for your prompt response!

    But I mean whether the words that can collocate with "not much" can all go with "There is not much of a"?

    For example: There is not much of a happiness/achivement/hope obtained from participating in that job.

    Are the above collocations and combinations all correct? Any mistakes,please kindly point them out. Thanks very much!
    Last edited by yanx; 29-Jul-2012 at 14:23.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 100
    #5

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You can put pretty much anything there, in the right context.
    "There's not much of a restaurant in this town."; "There isn't much of a fire in the fireplace."
    What word do you want to put there?
    I do not know the rules, so I am asking this here just to confirm my guess.

    Seems there is not much of a word that cannot be used in this sentence pattern.LOL Am I right?

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanx View Post
    I do not know the rules, so I am asking this here just to confirm my guess.

    Seems there is not much of a word that cannot be used in this sentence pattern.LOL Am I right?
    No, you'd have to say, "There are not many words that cannot...." or "There isn't much of a choice of words ..."
    You'd only use your original phrase when only one object is expected. That is, there is one choice, but many words.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 100
    #7

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, you'd have to say, "There are not many words that cannot...." or "There isn't much of a choice of words ..."
    You'd only use your original phrase when only one object is expected. That is, there is one choice, but many words.
    Thanks very much for your detailed explanation, I understand!!!

  4. anhnha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 539
    #8

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Hi,
    I don't really understand this kind of the sentence "
    There is not much of a restaurant in this town.".
    Could you help me give more detail expanation about this?
    Can I say it like this:
    There is not much of restaurant in this town.
    Is it right if I drop "a" in
    "
    There is not much of a restaurant in this town."?
    Is there any difference between two following sentences?
    1.
    There is not much of restaurant in this town.
    2.
    There aren't many of restaurant ins this town.
    Thank a lot!

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,215
    #9

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    The sentence "There isn't much fo a restaurant in this town" is not very natural.

    In any case, no, you cannot omit the "a" and no, you cannot change "much of a" to "many of."

    It isn't much of a restaurant -- it's not a very good restaurant.
    There aren't many restaurants -- there are a few, but not many.
    There isn't much of a restaurant -- marginally okay, meaning there is a place to eat, but you probably won't remember it as a great dining experience.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  6. anhnha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 539
    #10

    Re: There is not much of a change ...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    The sentence "There isn't much fo a restaurant in this town" is not very natural.

    In any case, no, you cannot omit the "a" and no, you cannot change "much of a" to "many of."

    It isn't much of a restaurant -- it's not a very good restaurant.
    There aren't many restaurants -- there are a few, but not many.
    There isn't much of a restaurant -- marginally okay, meaning there is a place to eat, but you probably won't remember it as a great dining experience.
    Thank you,
    That is great explanation!

Similar Threads

  1. 4 euros change / 4 euro change?
    By crazYgeeK in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-May-2011, 10:19
  2. Change your role? or change your roles?
    By karina1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2010, 19:23
  3. [Grammar] Change trains or change the train
    By Snappy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2009, 20:27
  4. change, make change for, have change for
    By sitifan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2008, 05:25
  5. change in work vs. change in working conditions
    By Eway in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Nov-2006, 10:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •