Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Please correct me if necessary.

Plastic bags
Astounding, plastic bags aren't free in order to keep the universe cleans.
This rule applies in some European countries. I was wonderful when I saw shoppers carry empty bags with them afterwards, I got the point.

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm assuming that the "Plastic bags" at the top is a title, in which case it should be more clearly marked to be so – Here I'd advise at least capitals on both words and a space between it and the article.

"Astounding" on its own doesn't work, you either have to say "[It's] Astounding! Plastic bags aren't free...", but that's not the atmosphere you want to give, I think. Or you must make it into an adverb: "Astoundingly". "Cleans" is a verb, not an adjective, which would be "clean", and saying "the universe" makes little sense. Say "the environment" instead.

"The rule applies in" does make sense, but it is slightly counter-intuitive. We may need a teacher for that one.
And your final sentence is the least sensical of the lot. You don't say you were wonderful in this situation and "I got the point" is a little random here.

All in all, needs a lot of tweaking.

[Not a teacher]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct me if necessary.

Plastic Bags (underline/bold if this is the title)
It's astounding. Plastic bags aren't free in order to keep the [STRIKE]universe[/STRIKE] planet [STRIKE]cleans[/STRIKE] clean.
This rule applies in some European countries. I was [STRIKE]wonderful[/STRIKE] amazed (or "I though it was wonderful") when I saw shoppers carry empty bags with them afterwards, I got the point.

I have amended the first part of your post. I am confused by the second part. Why do you think it is wonderful that people carry empty bags? Do you mean bags that are not made of plastic? Do you mean:

In some European countries, customers have to pay for plastic bags in supermarkets. This is a fantastic idea as it encourages people to take their own bags to the supermarket which is much better for the environment. I have seen people carrying empty bags to the supermarket and I think this is wonderful.

diplomacy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks a lot.
Yes I was really astonished because the bags are free here, no need to bring with you and I have never ever seen it before.
By the way,why didn't you put "s" in the verb /clean/?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
By the way,why didn't you put "s" in the verb /clean/?
Because in '... keep the universe clean', 'clean is functioning as an adjective, not a verb.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about saying There's a charge for plastic bags instead of Plastic bags aren't free?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot.
Yes I was really astonished because the bags are free here, no need to bring with you and I have never ever seen it before.

In my opinion, free plastic bags should be banned all over the world. They are one of the biggest causes of environmental pollution, are rarely made of biodegradable substances and are just as rarely recycled.

Charging for them is just the start. It does make people think twice before they go to the supermarket and at least some of them remember to take their own empty bags with them. There are a few places where plastic bags have been removed completely and shops provide different, environmentally-friendly alternatives. Here is an example:

Welcome to Modbury. Just don't ask for a plastic bag | Environment | The Guardian

diplomacy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I have liked it, specially we are really suffering of throwing bags randomly every where. They deformed the aspect of any place. By the way, I have seen customers bought about 10 items with at least 8 bags because they are free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.