• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: Specially and Especially

From the Columbia Guide to Standard American English:

Special and especial are adjectives, special much more frequently used: She’s a very special sort of person. Special appears increasingly in stereotypical phrases such as special agent and special delivery, including a growing number of euphemisms such as special education, which stress the idea that something special is “designed or intended for a particular purpose”; hence “unusual.” Especial is more Formal in many uses, perhaps because it occurs relatively infrequently. The adverbs specially and especially are distributed somewhat differently: uses such as specially planned, specially constructed, and specially created are very common; especially only rarely occurs in them. Otherwise, the adverbs are semantically interchangeable, although especially is a bit more formal in some contexts, where it contrasts with the aphetic specially: We were especially pleased you’d decided to join.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

Re: Specially and Especially

That was very instructive!

I have always thought that specially means "specially for you ...etc" but especially is used when you refer to a situation "We went, especially that John was coming), but when I read some examples I found out I was mistaken.