• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

A man, who looked decidedly drunk,

**Sorry 5jj, I can't help but create a new thread as this was buried deeply in the valley of a long thread, not to be recognized.

This is also an exteded thread from my "Yoo Sungryong, who was..."
    I also found a good material like the bottom one, and according to it, I'd like to interprete the following sentences, and if my interpretations are wrong, plese let me know.

1a. A man, who looked decidedly drunk, ran across the road in front of me.
    => Focusing on the fact that he might have been drunk, the writer assumes he was drunk.
    1b. A man who looked decidedly drunk ran across the road in front of me.
    => There might have been other men around, but the writer is emphasizing the drunken man other than any other men around.

2a. I noticed a cat, which was lying at the side of the road.
    => Focusing on the fact the cat was lying at the side of the road, the behavior itself.
    2b. I noticed a cat which was lying at the side of the road.
    => There might have been other cats around, but I noticed such a cat lying at the side of the road.

Comma Usage: Restrictive vs. Nonrestrictive Relative Clauses
    Judgment Calls
    ~My daughter recently attended a Shakespearean play that was being performed at the rebuilt Globe Theater in London.
    In this case, the relative clause "that was being performed at the rebuilt Globe Theater in London" is restrictive because it is being used to specify which Shakespearean play she attended. There are many Shakespearean plays, and they are being performed all the time in many places. The relative clause narrows the field of candidates down to one.
    But this is another sentence where the relative clause could be treated as nonrestrictive, giving a slightly different meaning to the sentence:
    ~My daughter recently attended a Shakespearean play, which was being performed at the rebuilt Globe Theater in London.
    This version of the sentence emphasizes the fact that the play was being performed in the rebuilt Globe Theater, not which play she attended.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: A man, who looked decidedly drunk,

1a- is it really focusing on the man's drunkenness or that he ran out in front? It seems to me that it is not the focus, but additional information that may explain his behaviour.