• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Some questions

Hi,

The fisher is a cute if cantankerous, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest. The big threat for weasellike fishers used to be all the logging and habitat destruction going on in the region. But a new study reveals the first four fishers known to have died from poisoning.
    Who would be poisoning fishers, you ask? Marijuana farmers, who use rodenticide to protect their illicit crop, much of it grown on public lands near Redwood National Park and Yosemite. The study is in the journal Public Library of Science One. These remote, hidden pot farms overlap with fisher habitat—and in 2008 alone nearly 4 million marijuana plants were removed from public lands in California.
    This problem extends well beyond fishers and marijuana. The national parks of countries like Guatemala have become the preferred haven of illicit landing fields for the cocaine trade, with harmful effects on the scarlet macaw, among other species. And even completely legal substances, like my caffeinated coffee, have disturbing impacts on wildlife and people.
    So the next time you're tempted to toke up, take a bump or just sip your latte, consider the costs of your habits.

I have several questions of this article:

a)Does the "fisher" mean "angler", namely the person who fishes, or mean "a kind of fish"?
    b)How to understand the first sentence? "Cute" is an adjective but why here is used as a noun? Does the sentence mean "Fisher is a cute, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest"? If so, how to understand "if cantankerous"?
    c)How to understand the "toke up" and "take a bump" in the last sentence? Do they respectively mean "light up a cigarette" and "drink a kind of liquor"?

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    Hi,

The fisher is a cute if cantankerous, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest. The big threat for weasellike fishers used to be all the logging and habitat destruction going on in the region. But a new study reveals the first four fishers known to have died from poisoning.
    Who would be poisoning fishers, you ask? Marijuana farmers, who use rodenticide to protect their illicit crop, much of it grown on public lands near Redwood National Park and Yosemite. The study is in the journal Public Library of Science One. These remote, hidden pot farms overlap with fisher habitat—and in 2008 alone nearly 4 million marijuana plants were removed from public lands in California.
    This problem extends well beyond fishers and marijuana. The national parks of countries like Guatemala have become the preferred haven of illicit landing fields for the cocaine trade, with harmful effects on the scarlet macaw, among other species. And even completely legal substances, like my caffeinated coffee, have disturbing impacts on wildlife and people.
    So the next time you're tempted to toke up, take a bump or just sip your latte, consider the costs of your habits.

a)Does the "fisher" mean "angler", namely the person who fishes, or mean "a kind of fish"? Neither, as it says in the text it's a cat sized carnivore. Fisher (animal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    b)How to understand the first sentence? "Cute" is an adjective but why here is used as a noun? Does the sentence mean "Fisher is a cute, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest"? If so, how to understand "if cantankerous"? Cute is an adjective in the text. Look up cantankerous in a dictionary.
    c)How to understand the "toke up" and "take a bump" in the last sentence? Do they respectively mean "light up a cigarette" and "drink a kind of liquor"? Latte is coffee.

Thanks a lot
    Bhai.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Hi,

The fisher is a cute if cantankerous, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

toke - definition of toke by Macmillan Dictionary
    toke - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thanks a lot. I understand what "cantankerous" mean; I did look it up. But I just don't understand the sentence:

The fisher is a cute if cantankerous, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest.

I wonder if there is a comma after "cute" in the sentence? Then I think I know what it means, just like the following:

The fisher is a cute, if cantankerous, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest.

Without the comma, I really don't understand because "cute" is an adjective here, but in the sentence it doesn't say "a cute what".

b)
    As for the last question, does the sentence mean "To toke up your latte, take a bump of your latte and sip your latte"?

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Hi,
    You don't have questions "of" the article. The article cannot answer you. You have questions "about" the article.
    I get confused with this. Although I usually use "about" in this case but I cann't why "of" cann't be used in this sentence.
    Is there any diffrence between the usage of "about" and "of" the below.
    1. to think/hear of someone
    2. to think/hear about someone
    Why "of" in "I have several questions of the article." cann't to be understand like "about"?
    The fisher is a cute if cantankerous, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific Northwest
    Does "if" in this sentence mean "in the case of/despite"?
    Can I rewite the sentence with the same meaning like this:
    The fisher is a cute carnivore in the case of/despite cantankerous, increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore of the Pacific.
    Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The reason "if cantankerous" is used is that the two adjectives "cute" and "cantankerous" don't normally go together. The writer is saying that the animal looks cute but has a bad temper. If you want to imagine commas around "if cantankerous" to help you, then fine.

The fisher is a cute (although also cantankerous), increasingly rare, cat-sized carnivore.

It's true that "cute" is a long way away from the noun it describes but all the adjectives in that sentence refer to "carnivore" (although of course they also refer to the fisher).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thanks a lot.

Curiously, I can't find "bump" under the meaning of "cocaine", is that a slang? My sources are dictionary.reference.com and thefreedictionary.com

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Take a look at the Urban Dictionary - Urban Dictionary, August 1: Snoop Lion and just put the word bump in the search box.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.