Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Since I'm not good at Physics, I have some troubles with understanding what the guys are talking about. The coversation comes from "The Amazing Spider-Man" if that helps. There is no previous context, the scene starts like that so there's no more tips I can give you...

- Extraordinary velocity vector is a function of both mass and acceleration.
- Please, you are the one who knows best that weight above any pendulum has no effect on sling state.
- It doesn't effect frequency but is totally a factor in momentum.

So, the first sentence is pretty much understandable even for a moron like me but what do the other two mean? I know what weight is but what is pendulum in this exact context? Is it the weight swinging freely? But what would mean "above any pendulum", then? And what is the sling state? The mentioned weight swinging freely (pendulum state in other words)?

I've looked up the definitions, I think my thought process is pretty much valid but I'd like a new set of eyes on it.

Thank you in advance and sorry for every mistake I've made.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Since I'm not good at Physics, I have some troubles with understanding what the guys are talking about. The coversation comes from "The Amazing Spider-Man" if that helps. There is no previous context, the scene starts like that so there's no more tips I can give you...

- Extraordinary velocity vector is a function of both mass and acceleration.
- Please, you are the one who knows best that weight above any pendulum has no effect on sling state.
- It doesn't effect frequency but is totally a factor in momentum.

So, the first sentence is pretty much understandable even for a moron like me but what do the other two mean? I know what weight is but what is pendulum in this exact context? Is it the weight swinging freely? But what would mean "above any pendulum", then? And what is the sling state? The mentioned weight swinging freely (pendulum state in other words)?

I've looked up the definitions, I think my thought process is pretty much valid but I'd like a new set of eyes on it.

Thank you in advance and sorry for every mistake I've made.
I suspect that it is nonsense that you aren't expected to understand. It's supposed to sound like geek talk that the audience can't understand. That effect would be lost if you did understand it. So, it has to be somewhat credible-sounding nonsense.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

I agree with Raymott. In fact, I have seen The Amazing Spider-Man and all the science talk was pretty out there. If you're still interested in finding out whether any of it makes any sense, your best bet would be to ask this question on http://www.physicsforums.com/.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That link doesn't seem to work, CS. Could you check it, please?

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This seems to work.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
That link doesn't seem to work, CS. Could you check it, please?

Rover

The link is fine, but they're apparently experiencing some temporary downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.