Unhappy help me!

I am stil waiting for your help. please help me to understand the following sentnces.

The following sentences are from the story " the gift of life:when one body can save another, which deals with the controversial issue of transplating orgarns. Again , i have several questions.

1. the Ayala family had lunched itself upon a sequence of nervy, life or death adventures to arrive at the denouncement last week. first questions is here itself indicates the family? secondly, what does it mean by upon a sequnce of ? lastly, to arrive indicates result or purpose?

2.the search(for marrow), surrounded by much poitnant publicity , failed. what does this mean?

3.In two weeks, the new cells should take over and start their work of giving her a new life. what does it mean exactly take over? Also, what is the meaning of should here?

4.Children are vanity items for many people,an extension of ego. what does this mean?

5.considered on the family's own terms, their behaviour is hard to fault. what does the underliend part mean?

6.but their case resonated with meaning and dilemmas larger than itself. what does it mean by resonated with meaing and dilemmas?

7.the case opend out a prospect of medical technological possibility and danger. what does this sentence imply and how can i understand open out?

8.today, the transplant is a part of the culture-conceptually dazzling familiar in a weird way, but morally unassimilated. what does the underliend part mean?

9.transplants become a matter of high-stakes risk calculation for the doner as well as the recipient and the intense emotions invovled sometiems have people playing long shots. what does the underlined part mean? especally what does it men playing long shot? also, is it possible for you to rephrase this sentence for me?

Re: help me!

1. the Ayala family had lunched itself upon a sequence of nervy, life or death adventures to arrive at the denouncement last week. first questions is here itself indicates the family?
    yes, itself refers to the family
    secondly, what does it mean by upon a sequnce of ?
    one thing after another, one adventure after another.
    lastly, to arrive indicates result or purpose?
    after all their trials and tribulations they met with public criticism.
    2.the search(for marrow), surrounded by much poignant publicity , failed. what does this mean?
    they couldn't find a bone marrow donor - that is, a person whose marrow would be a match for the person that needed the transplant.
    3.In two weeks, the new cells should take over and start their work of giving her a new life. what does it mean exactly take over? Also, what is the meaning of should here?
    It really is a medical stuff that I am not too familiar with. I know that a few cells of bone marrow will multiply in lab environment and they are harvested to form colonies. I think it's part of a stem cell transplant or something like that. I suppose they take only a few bone marrow cells from the donor and then those cells "take over" by multiplying into large amounts of cells that the recipient is waiting for.4.Children are vanity items for many people,an extension of ego. what does this mean?
    I guess some people have kids to satisfy their own egos, they don't care about the kids needs but their own, they like to show them off, etc.
    5.considered on the family's own terms, their behaviour is hard to fault. what does the underliend part mean?

where is the underlined part?

6.but their case resonated with meaning and dilemmas larger than itself. what does it mean by resonated with meaing and dilemmas?
    the case was full of dilemma, loaded with it.
    7.the case opend out a prospect of medical technological possibility and danger. what does this sentence imply and how can i understand open out?
    the case created a possibility to rescue people through technological advancement in medicine.
    8.today, the transplant is a part of the culture-conceptually dazzling familiar in a weird way, but morally unassimilated. what does the underliend part mean?
    Don't see anything underlined. Bottom line here is this: the idea of transplants is quite simple in itself but it's the ethical part of it that stirrs up a lot of confusion.
    9.transplants become a matter of high-stakes risk calculation for the doner as well as the recipient and the intense emotions invovled sometiems have people playing long shots. what does the underlined part mean? especally what does it men playing long shot? also, is it possible for you to rephrase this sentence for me?[/QUOTE]
    It means that there are serious risks involved for both parties (the donors and the recipients). In spite of the risks and dangers, people still opt for the transplant surgeries.
    To play a long shot idiom is taken from the game of golf. If you drive a long shot, it's not likely you will get a hole in one. The odds are against you. Even if you are Tiger Woods, long shots are risky if you can't afford to lose too many points. For those people that have to go for a transplant, it is a long shot as well, meaning that the risks are extremely high and many of those people don't have the luxury to sit around and twiddle their thumbs. For them, the time might be running out.

I hope I got most of it all right.