Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Major Gowen: Why, I say... I say, Fawlty, he doesn't look, uh... he doesn't look quite the ticket.
Basil Fawlty: Well, Major, um, don't say anything to anybody, but he's dead.
Major Gowen: Ah! Shot, was he?
Basil Fawlty: No, no. No, no. Died in his sleep.
Major Gowen: In his sleep? Ah, well. You're off your guard, you see!

This is from an episode of Fawlty Towers. Major Gowen says, upon seeing the body of a person, that this person in the chair "doesn't look quite the ticket". I have looked up this idiomatic expression and I have only found found "just the ticket", which could mean "to be just the perfect thing" or "exactly what is needed" ( ticket - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. ).

In this context, I would say that it means, "he doesn't look well". Am I right? And if so, I take it that in a different contextm if someone looks tired/yellow/sick that it's also possible to say that "he doesn't look quite the ticket? (I'm often not sure if idioms can be used in a broader context.)

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not idiomatic. Your guess about its meaning in this context is right. It is a gentle parody of the Major's social ineptitude - he knows he 'shouldn't' come straight out and talk about taboo subjects like death, so he coins a euphemism based on the idiomatic (but rather 'fusty') 'just the ticket'' - which is such a gross understatement that it doesn't work as a euphemism.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.