[General] What's different between 2 sentences ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duy065

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
1. The workmen had spent all morning digging the trench, and by lunchtime they had finished it.
2. The workmen spent all morning digging the trench, and by lunchtime they finished it.

and please check my grammar in 2 sentences, and feel free to give suggestions, which make the sentence much more smooth.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. The workmen had spent all morning digging the trench, and by lunchtime they had finished it.
2. The workmen spent all morning digging the trench, and by lunchtime they finished it.

and please check my grammar in 2 sentences, and feel free to give suggestions, which make the sentence much more smooth.

#2 is much more natural, there is no need for the past perfect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Some coursebooks, and even some grammars designed for students, give the impression that we need to use the past perfect if one past action precedes another. In fact, if the sequence of the actions is clear, we rarely need to use the past perfect.

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Here, you cannot use Past Perfect twice because Past Perfect is used to show that one of the actions occured previously. Second part of the sentence should have been in Past Simple. (The workmen had spent all morning digging the trench, and by the lunchtime they finished doing it.)
2. The workmen spent all morning digging the trench, and by lunchtime they finished it. This sentence is correct and smooth as you say

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here, you cannot use Past Perfect twice because Past Perfect is used to show that one of the actions occured previously. The [STRIKE]S[/STRIKE] second part of the sentence should have been in Past Simple. (The workmen had spent all morning digging the trench, and by the lunchtime they finished doing it.)
You can use the past perfect in both clauses. It just happens not to be necessary.

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Are you dedicated to correct me?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Are you dedicated to correcting me?
Only when it's necessary. All of us who post in this forum must expect to have our slips picked up. This ensures that, by the end of the thread, learners are reasonably confident that they have been given the correct answer.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Are you dedicated to correct me?

This is a forum for learners of English, all of us who answer questions have a responsibility to those learners to teach them good English. It is the responsibility of moderators to point out and correct errors when we find them.

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Ok, but you almost always correct me degradingly.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Ok, but you almost always correct me degradingly.

I'm sorry, but I don't accept that. None of us is in the business of "degrading" people.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The original question has been answered, so I am now closing this thread. Any off-topic questions can be dealt with by PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.