Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
Hi all,
I studied the English language because, I think it's very important today. And

I'm also happy that my profession would be teaching children a new language in their realm of education but, I seem to need to learn more:-(. Will any teacher tell me why he or she chose to be a teacher?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My truthful answer is not very inspiring. I enjoyed languages at school and university, and then drifted into teaching because I couldn't think of anything else to do. A PGCE teaching qualification seemed the passport to a safe career if ever I decided to settle down, and TEFL gave me the chance to travel at no cost.

It was only after I had been teaching for some time that I discovered that I found it personally satisfying to help people learn something that I found enjoyable. I did briefly leave teaching a couple of times, but soon returned.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi

Mine is somehow similar to what 5jj mentioned (I wanted to be a dentist, then an artist but I couldn't, so I ended up teaching). I've been teaching for 11 years. First I started teaching kids and teens for 5 years, through the end of the 5th year I really needed a change of career :eek:nfire:, I couldn't bear teaching, by the way it wasn't my favorite filed at all. I didn't expect to be a teacher, I couldn't tolerate teaching at all, but I ended up teaching and I was so fed up with it. You know I found the kids and teens nerve-racking:crazyeye:. I had a change of work place and started teaching adults and really I found it so rewarding, I feel thrilled and really energetic.I like going through my stuff to teach one point in the best possible way. Now I know it wasn't teaching that I couldn't bear, it was kids and teens!! I don't think of having a change of career, I like them. If one day I don't go to work (on holidays), I feel down, cross my heart!:-D
Good Luck!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Another drifter here- I did English at university and then decided to teach abroad for a year or two, liked it and stayed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.