• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

as, will , that, brings

" I have discovered, as perhaps Kelsey will after her much-publicized resignation from the editorship of She after a build- up of stress, that abandoning the doctrine of " juggling your life", and making the alternative move into "downshifting" brings with it far greater rewards than financial success and soscial status." (ret219)

I couldn't understand the meaning of the sentence, because I don't know the functions of these words such as "as, will, that, brings," and the meaning of "will" here. Please help me.
    Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: as, will , that, brings

I have discovered, as perhaps Kelsey will (discover) after her much-publicized resignation from the editorship of She after a build- up of stress, that abandoning the doctrine of " juggling your life", and making the alternative move into "downshifting" brings with it far greater rewards than financial success and social status.

Does that help?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Notletrest:

Nice "talking" with you again. I agree: that sentence could be very confusing to learners and to ordinary native speakers such as I (am).

May I add my two cents?

5jj has already explained that "will" is simply short for "will discover."

1. Now let's discuss "as."

a. I have discovered, as perhaps [Linda] Kelsey will discover after her much publicized resignation from the editorship of

"She" magazine, that ....

i. I think "as" means something like: I have discovered, in the same way in which Ms. Kelsey will also probably discover, that ....

2. 5jj has already showed you the use of "that." It is used to introduce the noun clause.

a. I have discovered that abandoning ....

3. Finally the word brings. This is really interesting.

a. In my opinion only, I believe that the person who wrote this sentence felt that "abandoning and making" are two things that are so closely related that those two concepts should be considered as one entity. Thus, the "brings."

b. On the other hand, I believe that some writers might prefer to consider those two concepts as individual items. Thus, they might have written something like:

I have discovered that abandoning the doctrine and making the move bring far greater rewards.

P.S. In the original paragraph that you copied, was there a comma after the word "downshifting"? If there was, then I can understand why the author used "brings." Learners sometimes do not realize that a comma in English writing can make a HUGE difference.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

P.S. In the original paragraph that you copied, was there a comma after the word "downshifting"? If there was, then I can understand why the author used "bring
    s." Learners sometimes do not realize that a comma in English writing can make a HUGE difference.

Glad to see you again!
    There is no comma after downshifting.
    Thanks for your further explanation!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I have discovered, as perhaps Kelsey will (discover) after her much-publicized resignation from the editorship of She after a build- up of stress, that abandoning the doctrine of " juggling your life", and making the alternative move into "downshifting" brings with it far greater rewards than financial success and social status.

Does that help?
    Oh, I see. You teaching made me think of a Chinese fable: In ancient China there was a painter who was drawing a dragon when a God came in and added the eyeballs in it. Suddenly, the dragon flew into the sky.

Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post

Does that help?
    It seems to me there is something unreasonable in the original sentence. First let me simplify it.
    I have discovered the fact as perpaps she will (discover). The trouble lies in "will" expressing something in the future or intention. Besides, I think we'd better choose and instead of "as". What do you think of me?
    Thanks!