• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

There is or It's

Dear teachers,

My neighbour's daughter is learning English. She showed me a test paper and asked to explain the mistakes she'd made. One dialogue confused me a lot. I am going to ask you the question which you might think silly but I really don't know why the key is this:

Please read the following dialogue:

A: Excuse me. what's on the desk?
    B: Let's go and have a look. __________ a watch.

The girl put in "It's" but the teacher said it was wrong. "There's" is the correct answer. I don't think so. I think "It's' is the correct one. If the question is " Is there a watch on the desk?" Then the answer should be " Yes, there is." Is that right?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: There is or It's

As a test question, it's not very good because if the teacher wanted to test the difference, it isn't made very clear. I do incline towards using there's, but it's could be given as an answer- 'what's that on the table?' sounds like a more natural question and the answer would be it's. It's not a very good question for testing purposes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: There is or It's

Dear tdol,

Thank you very much for your reply. Now I see.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    As a test question, it's not very good because if the teacher wanted to test the difference, it isn't made very clear. I do incline towards using there's, but it's could be given as an answer- 'what's that on the table?' sounds like a more natural question and the answer would be it's. It's not a very good question for testing purposes.