Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hello,

One of friend wants to purchase a PhD degree, she asked me to write a reference letter for her. One difficulty is that I am not familar with her major, but I know her personality. She lost her husband two years ago. She has been lived for a hard time. She lives by food stamp and she has two kids. Her native english is not English. But she earned a certification in a technology field in such a poor condition.

May I ask you guys to correct any error in the letter and make the effect better?
Thanks.
Code:
To Whom It May Concern,

It has been three years since I have known xxx as a close friend. I am writing this reference letter with regard to her application for yyy University Graduation School of Arts.
Without hesitation, xxx is one of the finest and most hard-working people that I have ever known.She has a very strong motivation to achieve the goals. 
In addition to raising a family, xxx has always found time to get involved in life around her. Unlike many people these days, whenever she adopts a cause or pursues a new interest she is guaranteed to be highly committed.
I would certainly recommend xxx for any task where enthusiasm, hard work and trustworthiness are valued.
Very respectfully,

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

I'm not going to attempt to correct your letter because I'm not the right person to do that, but I would like to point out two things for your own information.

One of friend wants to purchase a PhD degree, she asked me to write a reference letter for her.

You cannot purchase a PhD degree. If you purchase a degree, the degree is worthless. You have to earn one.

It's a letter of recommendation, not a "recommend letter".

ardmore

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
That is a great help.

Thanks,
Any grammar errors in the letter?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Any grammar errors in the letter?
If this is a letter to 'purchase' a degree that has not involved any work, then I refuse to assist in any correction.

But, I have to admit that my refusal will make no difference. I once applied to a degree mill for a degree in engineering. I think my application contained such gems as, "im no good at writing but i no that my custtamers is happy with wat i does with there cars, i think that if i have a degree i can get a job where i can tell what u have to do to repair a car so do i think i can get a degree"

I was told that it was transparently clear that I deserved a PhD in engineering. It was so obvious that I did not even need to take a course or submit a thesis. All I had to do was send the 'university' a cheque for X (I think it was $3,000), and I would receive a degree that would enable me to do anything I wished.

The only good that came out of this was that I passed the correspondence on to the broadsheets. They were not interested in following up on what I'd said, but at least they agreed to ban advertising from such institutions.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If this is a letter to 'purchase' a degree that has not involved any work, then I refuse to assist in any correction.

But, I have to admit that my refusal will make no difference. I once applied to a degree mill for a degree in engineering. I think my application contained such gems as, "im no good at writing but i no that my custtamers is happy with wat i does with there cars, i think that if i have a degree i can get a job where i can tell what u have to do to repair a car so do i think i can get a degree"

I was told that it was transparently clear that I deserved a PhD in engineering. It was so obvious that I did not even need to take a course or submit a thesis. All I had to do was send the 'university' a cheque for X (I think it was $3,000), and I would receive a degree that would enable me to do anything I wished.

The only good that came out of this was that I passed the correspondence on to the broadsheets. They were not interested in following up on what I'd said, but at least they agreed to ban advertising from such institutions.

:shock:

ardmore

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I am sorry for using a wrong word. It should be "pursue" rather than "purchase".:lol:
It was a typo.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

One of friend wants to purchase a PhD degree, she asked me to write a reference letter for her. One difficulty is that I am not familar with her major, but I know her personality. She lost her husband two years ago. She has been lived for a hard time. She lives by food stamp and she has two kids. Her native english is not English. But she earned a certification in a technology field in such a poor condition.

May I ask you guys to correct any error in the letter and make the effect better?
Thanks.
Code:
To Whom It May Concern,

[STRIKE][B]It has been three years since [/B][/STRIKE] I have known xxx as a [STRIKE][B]close[/B][/STRIKE] friend
Code:
[COLOR=#b22222][B]for three years[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]. [STRIKE][B]I am writing [/B][/STRIKE] This reference letter [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#b22222]is[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000] with regard to her application for yyy University Graduation [B][I](Do you mean "Graduate"?)[/I][/B] School of Arts.
Without hesitation, xxx is one of the finest and most hard-working people that I have ever known. [STRIKE][B]She[/B][/STRIKE] [B][I](Use first name)[/I][/B] has a very strong motivation to achieve [STRIKE][B]the[/B][/STRIKE] [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#b22222]her[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000] goals. 
In addition to raising a family, xxx has always found time to get involved in life around her. Unlike many people these days, whenever she adopts a cause or pursues a new interest [STRIKE][B]she[/B][/STRIKE] [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#b22222]it [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000]is guaranteed [STRIKE][B]to be [/B][/STRIKE] [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#b22222]that she will be [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#000000]highly committed.
I would certainly recommend xxx for any task where enthusiasm, hard work and trustworthiness are valued.
Very respectfully, [/COLOR]

Suggestions based on your clarification.
Nice reference, short and to the point. Good luck to your friend.

ardmore

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
It is very helpful.
May God bless you.

Status