Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
These two statements appear in a Korean English grammar book, and I doubt the two underlined. Are they true?
As far as I learned here, participle phrases describe not the main clause itself, but the subject of the main clause. And I doubt where 2 is from, which I can't find in any native grammar.

gz163
1.Participles functions as an adjective, but participle phrases functions as an adverb to describe the whole main clause.
2.Participle phrases are a phrase that simply converts an adverb clause "Conjunction+Subject+Verb" to "V+ing" and makes a sentence brief and vivid, but is not used a lot in conversation.
ex)When he saw me, he got so embarrassed.
=>Seeing me, he got so embarrassed.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
These two statements appear in a Korean English grammar book, and I doubt the two underlined. Are they true?
As far as I learned here, participle phrases describe not the main clause itself, but the subject of the main clause. And I doubt where 2 is from, which I can't find in any native grammar.

gz163
1.Participles functions as an adjective, but participle phrases functions as an adverb to describe the whole main clause.
2.Participle phrases are a phrase that simply converts an adverb clause "Conjunction+Subject+Verb" to "V+ing" and makes a sentence brief and vivid, but is not used a lot in conversation.
ex)When he saw me, he got so embarrassed.
=>Seeing me, he got so embarrassed.

Below are two fragments from Oxford Practice Grammar by J. Eastwood, I think it's what you need.

1 From Oxford Practice Grammar by J Eastwood.jpg2 From Oxford Practice Grammar by J Eastwood.JPG

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! The links are the ones where I saw such decompositions of participial phrases for the first time. Anyway,
I don't know if the following is correct .

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Participles can function as adverbs: He came running.

Status
Not open for further replies.