Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Teachers

I am confused with the phrase "who are clearly and embarrassingly inappropriate come in for ridicule" in the following sentence. Does it simply mean: Even though parents know clearly that they will be criticized, many of them believe that a bit more parenting can turn out children with great talents and assured futures?

While parents who are clearly and embarrassingly inappropriate come in for ridicule, many of us find ourselves drawn to the idea that with just a bit more parental elbow grease, we might turn out children with great talents and assured futures. Is there really anything wrong with a kind of “overparenting lite”?

Please teach me how to use this "who are clearly and embarrassingly inappropriate"? Seems odd to describe people? Usually inappropriate behaivour, innit?

Regards

Anthony the learner

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
People laugh at the obviously bad parents, but many parents believe that if they pushed their roles a bit more, they could turn their children into great talents.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks Tdol. Your sentence is very straight-forward, punchy and comprehensive. Do you think the the orginal sentence I posted sounds a bit clumpsy or it is actually some witty writing style? Anthony the learner.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People write with different styles. I found the original conversational and easy to read. Tdol's is how I would write at work. The original is how I might write for a feature story in a magazine. Sometimes the sole purpose is to convey meaning. Sometimes the purose is to entertain. Sometimes you want to mix some information into a light-hearted style.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
People write with different styles. I found the original conversational and easy to read. Tdol's is how I would write at work. The original is how I might write for a feature story in a magazine. Sometimes the sole purpose is to convey meaning. Sometimes the purose is to entertain. Sometimes you want to mix some information into a light-hearted style.

Dear Barb, can you tell me why the writer use "embarrassingly inappropriate" to describe the parents? I thought only "inappropriate behavior", please kindly explain the usage, because I want to learn from you.

Regards

Anthony the learner

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Their behavior is so inappropriate (for example, screaming at teachers who give their children a deserved failing grade) that it's embarrassing for other parents to think that anyone else might think that all parents are like them. Such parents are an embarrassment to all parents.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you think the the orginal sentence I posted sounds a bit clumpsy or it is actually some witty writing style?

I rather liked the original sentence- it's the sort of writing that could make a magazine article, for instance, an enjoyable read.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Their behavior is so inappropriate (for example, screaming at teachers who give their children a deserved failing grade) that it's embarrassing for other parents to think that anyone else might think that all parents are like them. Such parents are an embarrassment to all parents.

So "behavior" is kind of hidden in the sentence.... right?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have to infer what about them is inappropriate, yes. It could be their dress or their language, in theory, but since the article is about parenting, you have to assume that it's about how they act as parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.