• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

queue flight

Priority entrance is only included in the ticket to SEA LIFE London Aquarium and Madame Tussauds - all others are general queue/standard flights.

What does "queue/standard flight" mean?

Thanks

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: queue flight

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    Priority entrance is only included in the ticket to SEA LIFE London Aquarium and Madame Tussauds - all others are general queue/standard flights.

What does "queue/standard flight" mean?

Thanks

Jason
    What is the context for this?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Priority entrance is only included in the ticket to the SEA LIFE London Aquarium and Madame Tussauds London- all others are general queue/standard flights.

This appears in the instructions on tickets that tourists can buy to see a selection of London's attractions at a discounted rate. I can't find exactly the example you've supplied but here are a couple of similar ones I did find.

1) Priority entrance is only included in the ticket to SEA LIFE London Aquarium - all others are general queue/standard experiences.
    2) Priority entrance is only included in the ticket to the SEA LIFE London Aquarium and Madame Tussauds London- all others are general queue/standard tickets.

It's possible that the phrases needing clarification are:
    (a) general queue
    and (b) standard experiences, standard tickets.. or in your case, standard flights

However, I'm guessing that what's intended here is "general queue-standard tickets", "general queue-standard experiences" etc, with a hyphen.
    Meaning that these tickets give you priority entrance, and presumably other benefits and bonuses, at the venues named, but at the other venues you must queue in the normal way and are only entitled to the standard no-frills experience. Although I'm a little puzzled about "queue-standard flights".

That's right, I'm mostly guessing.

not a teache
    r

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

With the two attractions listed, you don't have to wait in the queue/line. You can use the "priority queue" entrance.

At all others, your admission is paid for, but if there is a queue to enter, you have to wait in it.

I have no idea what "standard flight" means, but that's the overall purpose.

And I've just realized that JMurray said the same thing.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm afraid a lot of tourist related outlets have taken to saying 'flight' like this when the meaning has nothing to do with aircraft). Eurostar has 'flights' (although it's a train network), and The London Eye has them too (although it's a - very slow-moving - ferris wheel)... Perhaps that last one is something to do with the people who run the London Eye being British Airways. I've never seen it used to refer to a visit to an aquarium though.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

My guess is that they're using 'flight' because almost everyone finds flying an exciting experience of some sort. Think of the moment of take-off, when your stomach seems to suddenly move freely inside you, and the mixed excitement-discomfort feeling it provides. So I would say that by using 'flight' instead of just 'visit' (random example), the runner of even an aquarium might want the tourists to feel that spending their money there will give them similar feelings to those I described (or, at least, tried to describe).

charliedeut
    Last edited by charliedeut; 10-Aug-2012 at 08:55.
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.