• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

stovepiped

What does "stovepiped" mean in the following context?

He began his career as one of the creators of both Arpanet and the Ethernet, and knows what it takes to build something as vast as the World Wide Web. "In the early days, everything was stovepiped," he says. "Computing was done by IBM; communications was done by AT&T. Voice, video, and data were distinct services..."

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: stovepiped

A stovepipe is a long, narrow pipe. The idea is that there aren't any cross-connections. No one takes a comprehensive, across-the-board approach. Instead of you and I working together to do tasks A and B and maybe even C, I do A while you do B and someone else, who knows nothing about our progress, ideas, or challenges, does C.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: stovepiped

Tha word 'stovepipe' was very popular in the IT world in the '80s (and possibly before - I just wasn't there). A similar idea, but referring a narrow (and potentially lengthy ) discussion, was 'rathole'.

b