Does "medical science" also share "attributes"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "that encompasses medical science as well as personal, humanistic, and professional attributes" mean "that includes medical science attritute, personal attritute, humanistic attribute and professional attribute"?

Context:

Medicine is not a science, but a profession that encompasses medical science as well as personal, humanistic, and professional attributes.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

IMO, no. It means that medicine combines, on the one hand, medical science and on the other, the attributes mentioned.

charliedeut

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I think 'combines' would have been a better choice of word.

b

Yes I agree, or, as Wikipedia says it, in a slightly different context, medicine applies X, Y and Z to treat and diagnose injury and disease.

By the way, I find the statment, 'Medicine is not a science...' very debatable. I agree with Wikipedia that "applied science" is a more accurate way of describing what medicine is.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'combines' would have been a better choice of word.

b

Did you mean "Medicine is not a science, but a profession that combines medical science as well as personal, humanistic, and professional attributes"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's a bad sentence anyway. Are there any professions that don't encompass professional attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.