Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Is an Indian wise man called guru or saddhu?
Is there a word for the Indian wise man other than that two?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

I don't know all the ins and outs of these words, but a "guru" is not necessarily a man or Indian. According to this definition it's someone who knows a lot about a particular subject, and gives advice to other people. The second definition is a Hindu religious teacher or leader. My knowledge of religions is very limited, but I assume that everyone can become a Hindu, the person doesn't have to be from India or be of Indian descent.

joyce6

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, joyce6.:-D
In addition to Chicken Sandwich's explanation, bhaisahab (one of the moderators here) will shed more light on your query.
I think bhai knows a lot about India.:-D

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Hi,

Here you will find some. Please let us (or at least me) which one you were looking for.

charliedeut

PS: As Macmillan is an English, not religious, dictionary, there may be other names related to what you were asking which are not listed there.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
My problem with the original question is that it asks for a different word for an "Indian wise man". The word "guru" covers the "wise man"-part, because I assume that a "wise man" knows a lot about a particular subject, but "guru" doesn't tell us where this wise man is from.
If I say to someone, 'I saw this guru the other day and he gave me some interesting advice', the person I'm talking to, is not going to know straight away where this guru was from unless I specifically state it, but if I say, 'I saw this Indian wise man the other day and he gave me some interesting advice', they'll know immediately that this wise man was either born in India or from Indian descent.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

My problem with the original question is that it asks for a different word for an "Indian wise man". The word "guru" covers the "wise man"-part, because I assume that a "wise man" knows a lot about a particular subject, but "guru" doesn't tell us where this wise man is from.
If I say to someone, 'I saw this guru the other day and he gave me some interesting advice', the person I'm talking to, is not going to know straight away where this guru was from unless I specifically state it, but if I say, 'I saw this Indian wise man the other day and he gave me some interesting advice', they'll know immediately that this wise man was either born in India or from Indian descent.

Hi Chicken Sandwich,

I believe the question is clear about the fact that the OP is looking for the word that describes a wise man of the Hindu religion (reinforced by the word 'saddhu'), even if the OP used the ambiguous term 'Indian'.

Therefore, 'guru' would be applicable here, as defined by Macmillan in the link I provided:

guru

noun
a religious or spiritual leader, especially in Hinduism

and by the definition od 'sadhu':

sadhu

noun
a Hindu holy man

So excuse me, but I don't see where your doubt lies. :-?

charliedeut

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I believe the question is clear about the fact that the OP is looking for the word that describes a wise man of the Hindu religion (reinforced by the word 'saddhu'), even if the OP used the ambiguous term 'Indian'.

I see. Well, in that case, I guess that "guru" and "sadhu" could be used in place of "Hindu wise man", though according to the Wikipedia definitions, guru and sadhu are not the same. In other words, it would depend on what kind of "wise man" he is.

My confusion arose because joyce6 used "Indian" to describe what kind of "wise man" he was.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Both "guru" and "sadhu"are Hindi words. The former means "teacher" and the latter "holy man". Most teachers are not holy men, but some holy men are (spiritual) teachers. One cannot become a Hindu unless one is born a Hindu, changes religion and then returns to Hinduism. It is not necessary to be an Indian national to be a Hindu, but you would need to be of (ultimate) Indian descent.

joyce6

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Both "guru" and "sadhu"are Hindi words. The former means "teacher" and the latter "holy man". Most teachers are not holy men, but some holy men are (spiritual) teachers. One cannot become a Hindu unless one is born a Hindu, changes religion and then returns to Hinduism. It is not necessary to be an Indian national to be a Hindu, but you would need to be of (ultimate) Indian descent.

Thanks for this explanation. I do not know the word Hindu so I meant "Hindu by "Indian".

joyce6

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I see. Well, in that case, I guess that "guru" and "sadhu" could be used in place of "Hindu wise man", though according to the Wikipedia definitions, guru and sadhu are not the same. In other words, it would depend on what kind of "wise man" he is.

My confusion arose because joyce6 used "Indian" to describe what kind of "wise man" he was.

I wrote it by mistake as I was confused about it. I thought that a wise man from India was named as guru or saddhu. I looked it up in dictionary and found these two words.

Status
Not open for further replies.