Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The answer is 2, but many students chose 1. I think 1 also makes sense if "the filing system" is used as a metaphorical sense in the answer. Why do you think 1 is not a good candidate? Or do you have any different opinion?

pr50
ex)As we all know, some things that are available for longer than 20 seconds are in fact available years and even decades later in our memory. This is what the term "permanent memory" refers to. Such material is metaphorically "in the Files." But we also know all too well that other information - information that was still clearly available in memory after 20 seconds or even after 20 minutes - is gone a day or two later. This sort of everyday experience is what the concept I am calling "holding memory" is about. Metaphorically, we can say that such material is "on top of the filing cabinet." it is there at hand; it is ready to be fitted into the Files; but it is also subject to being knocked off onto the floor and lost.
Q. What is the theme of the writing? 2
1. the filing systems of holding memory and permanent memory (x)
2. the difference between permanent memory and holding memory (0)
3. the metaphorical use of permanent memory and holding memory(x)
4. the limitations of memorizing clearly available information.(x)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
FIY, this is a question made by Koreans to prepare for university entrance exam.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The answer is 2, but many students chose 1. I think 1 also makes sense if "the filing system" is used as a metaphorical sense in the answer. Why do you think 1 is not a good candidate? Or do you have any different opinion?

pr50
ex)As we all know, some things that are available for longer than 20 seconds are in fact available years and even decades later in our memory. This is what the term "permanent memory" refers to. Such material is metaphorically "in the Files." But we also know all too well that other information - information that was still clearly available in memory after 20 seconds or even after 20 minutes - is gone a day or two later. This sort of everyday experience is what the concept I am calling "holding memory" is about. Metaphorically, we can say that such material is "on top of the filing cabinet." it is there at hand; it is ready to be fitted into the Files; but it is also subject to being knocked off onto the floor and lost.
Q. What is the theme of the writing? 2
4. the limitations of memorizing clearly available information.(x)

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with 1., 2., or 3. And if I had to choose one, I would select #3.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! You mean 2 is not that persuasive as the theme? But it describes the difference in many parts, and as for 1, "the filing systems" could be a metaphor for those two memories. and as you said, as for 3, it also seems proper.
I have no idea, the Korean test-maker probably made multiple answers, not definite one.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia

I have some sympathy with billmcd's point of view, but perhaps this is the reasoning behind the answer that was preferred.

1: "filing systems" is merely a metaphor used to explain the two types of memory, it is not the actual filing system mechanism of the two types of memory, as implied here.
3: the text is not a metaphorical use of the two types of memory, but the the metaphorical use of the "filing systems" to explain the difference in the two types.

2: by avoiding any mention of "filing systems" and metaphors, this states simply that the text is dealing with the difference between the two types, which is the basic theme.

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is the metaphor fair for a language test?

Status
Not open for further replies.