What do we call this kind of nouns "London Games"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

A "s" is added to the verb "include" while we do have a "s" is attached to "game". What do we call that kind of nouns?

London games includes female competitors from every country.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Unless "London Games" is the name of an event, that sentence is not natural English.

Last edited:

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Pardon me, I didn't get it.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Pardon me, I didn't get it.

"London games includes female competitors from every country." This is not natural English unless there is an event called "London Games", which, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it possible that the piece referred to the Olympic Games of 2012 which were held in London? I have heard them referred to in the press as "the London Games". The UK last hosted the Olympics in 1948 and in the lead-up to the 2012 Games, I saw and heard various references to "the London Games 1948".

If that is the case, then "The London Games includes female competitors from every country" makes sense to me. It is probably the first time that every country taking part has fielded at least one female competitor.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"The London Games includes female competitors from every country"
I think the verb must be plural there - 'include'.

I may be nit-picking here, but I am not happy with the idea of games 'including' competitors. I'd rephrase it somehow - Female competitors from every country are participating in the London Games; Every country has sent female competitors to the London Games.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it possible that the piece referred to the Olympic Games of 2012 which were held in London? I have heard them referred to in the press as "the London Games". The UK last hosted the Olympics in 1948 and in the lead-up to the 2012 Games, I saw and heard various references to "the London Games 1948".

If that is the case, then "The London Games includes female competitors from every country" makes sense to me. It is probably the first time that every country taking part has fielded at least one female competitor.

I agree. I think you nailed it by adding 'taking part' after 'every country'.

There were certainly not female competitors from all 196 countries.

Rover
:eek:lympic:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree. I think you nailed it by adding 'taking part' after 'every country'.

There were certainly not female competitors from all 196 countries.

Rover
:eek:lympic:

I didn't particularly like "includes" either but I was concentrating on the meaning of the "London Games". I was obviously labouring under a misapprehension - I thought I had heard a report that the last two countries who had previously fielded an all-male team had, this year, finally entered the 21st century and fielded competitors of both sexes. I guess I was wrong! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.