Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 3,573
    #1

    Conditional

    I am wondering if these conditional sentences are correct:

    1. If Hemingway were alive, he would probably have lived outside the USA.
    2. If Hemingway were alive, he would probably live outside the USA.
    3. If Mark Twain were alive, he would be travelling all over the world. ( or is it correct to write, he would have been travelling all over the world?)
    4. If Jane Austen were alive, she would have written more novels and probably received the Nobel Prize.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jul 2012
    • Posts: 10
    #2

    Re: Conditional

    I am not a teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    1. If Hemingway were alive, he would probably have lived outside the USA.
    If Hemingway were alive in year 2000, as he loved Cuba, he would have lived outside the US then, but it was impossible because he was dead long before then.
    Last edited by NoneNative; 11-Aug-2012 at 23:34.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Conditional

    Quote Originally Posted by NoneNative View Post
    If Hemingway were alive in year 2000, as he loved Cuba, he would have lived outside the US then, but it was impossible because he was dead long before then.
    The year 2000 being in the past, the only acceptable hypothetical thought is 'If he had been alive in 2000".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 3,573
    #4

    Re: Conditional

    Now I really do not understand anything. I simply wanted to know if my sentences are correct, and these two answers did not give me any clue. I would be grateful if someone would explain to me this kind of conditional sentences.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,826
    #5

    Re: Conditional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    I am wondering if these conditional sentences are correct:

    1. If Hemingway were alive, he would probably have lived outside the USA.
    2. If Hemingway were alive, he would probably live outside the USA.
    3. If Mark Twain were alive, he would be travelling all over the world. ( or is it correct to write, he would have been travelling all over the world?)
    4. If Jane Austen were alive, she would have written more novels and probably received the Nobel Prize.
    "If Hemingway were alive" simply means "If he were alive now" so you can't then say "he would have lived outside the USA, so #1 is wrong.
    #2 is OK if you mean "If Hemingway were alive now/today, he would live outside the USA".
    Same for #3.
    #4 is incorrect. Jane Austen was alive, quite clearly, or she couldn't have written any books. Again, you need to specify a time period. If Jane Austen were alive now, she would still be writing novels. If Jane Austen had lived longer, she would have written more novels and might have won the Nobel Prize.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 3,573
    #6

    Re: Conditional

    emsr2d2

    Thank you so much for your explanations. They have really helped me to understand where I make the mistakes when writing such kind of sentences.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jul 2012
    • Posts: 10
    #7

    Re: Conditional

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    The year 2000 being in the past, the only acceptable hypothetical thought is 'If he had been alive in 2000".
    Thanks, I am glad to have received the benefit of participation though I was wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] second conditional vs third conditional
    By cubezero3 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-May-2011, 06:24
  2. Conditional
    By Donno in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2010, 15:55
  3. conditional
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2007, 14:48
  4. conditional
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2007, 12:56
  5. conditional
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Dec-2006, 12:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •