• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

come across or out

I felt absolutely horrible, knowing that I was the cause of his sadness. So I took a deep breath and asked God for the courage to go up to Phil and apologize. But what if my words came _______ wrong and I ended up making things worse? All I could say was a soft "Hey". The embarrassing silence was painful...
    A. across B. out

I find that both answers make sense. Do you think so, too?

(2) A few months after I'd said those mean things, Phil became my lab partner in science class. To my surprise, it was a close partnership. Phil wasn't the kind of guy to hear ill will. He treated me with a great deal of respect --just as I should have given him right from the start.

What do the words in red mean? How can you break down the sentence?

Thanks!

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: come across or out

1. I agree with you.

2. It's a typo for 'to bear ill will' or 'to hold a grudge'.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I agree too. If your words "come out" wrong, it means you were nervous (or whatever) and you didn't say what you meant to say. If they "come across" wrong, it means he took a different meaning than what you intended. Both are possible in this context.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    I felt absolutely horrible, knowing that I was the cause of his sadness. So I took a deep breath and asked God for the courage to go up to Phil and apologize. But what if my words came _______ wrong and I ended up making things worse? All I could say was a soft "Hey". The embarrassing silence was painful...
    A. across B. out

I find that both answers make sense. Do you think so, too? Not really..In that context "came out wrong" would be the proper expression because it refers to a verbal statement. Use of "come across" is more of a behavioral description as in: (A) Have you met the new boss? (B) Yeah, you know, in my opinion he comes across as arrogant and boastful.

(2) A few months after I'd said those mean things, Phil became my lab partner in science class. To my surprise, it was a close partnership. Phil wasn't the kind of guy to hear ill will. He treated me with a great deal of respect --just as I should have given him right from the start.

What do the words in red mean? How can you break down the sentence? To listen to or to express disparaging remarks about people.

Thanks!

Jason
    b.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I still think it was a typo for "bear ill will."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

In case two responses to that effect weren't enough, I'll add mine. I believe it's a typo too and should read "bear ill will" as that is a recognised phrase.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.