• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

The S-V-O Structure in a sentence

What criticism may be exerted in relation to the word order and punctuation in the following sentence:

On the continent, philosophy - as that by Hegel who treated many categories, among them also "Quantity" - belongs to positive sciences.

Maybe, the verb "belongs" should be placed right after "philosophy"?
    Any ideas are welcome!
    Last edited by cuneiform; 12-Aug-2012 at 12:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: The S-V-O Structure in a sentence

Do you mean it should be moved? If so, no. It's fine where it is but the verb "belongs" does refer to "philosophy". You could put the whole section between the dashes into brackets instead if that makes it easier to read.

I have to admit, I'm a little confused by the part that starts "as that by Hegel" but I'm not terribly familiar with either science or philosophy!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Greatly indebted to you for your reply! Don't be confused, it's quite normal out of the continent, the way philosophy as a subject is studied, just like a game and not for any practical use, merely in a sense like the philosophy of the burying / cooking.
    Last edited by cuneiform; 12-Aug-2012 at 16:03.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by cuneiform View Post
    Greatly indebted to you for your reply! Don't be confused, it's quite normal out of the continent, the way philosophy as a subject is studied, just like a game and not for any practical use, merely in a sense like the philosophy of the burring / cooking.
    Burring?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Well, seemingly I have erroneously doubled the r for the Participle I form from the verb to bury - I have introduced some corrections. Nevertheless, even in this case don't read books on philosophy by Russel, Popper, Witgenstein, modern out-of-the-continent philosophers, but Whitehead is generally well accepted on the continent.
    Last edited by cuneiform; 12-Aug-2012 at 17:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Well, seemingly I have erroneously doubled r for the Participle I form from the verb to bury - I have introduced some corrections. Nevertheless, even in this case don't read books on philosophy by Russel, Popper, Witgenstein, modern out-of-the-continent philosophers, but Whitehead is generally well accepted on the continent.
    You doubled the "r" and omitted the "y"! It should read "burying". Is there really a philosophy attached to burial?!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Damn. I only too rarely try to write something in English if I'm going to translate smth. for my colleagues. For myself I am writing in German, generally speaking, a language of contemporary philosophy, like Greek. English is my 7th language. Most modern philosophers have made a play on words if not a pun out of traditional philosophy, which always was some kind of love for wisdom.Now, it became in fact merely a technique of specialization at cooking, burying, etc. Then, they are speaking about the philosophy of cooking, burying, etc. Alas. Continental philosophers if not sick the same way are always getting astonished at international congresses while seeing all kinds of "linguistic games" played by modern philosophers that consider the traditional problematics decayed.
    Last edited by cuneiform; 12-Aug-2012 at 16:35.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Damn. I only too rarely try to write something in English if I'm going to translate smth. for my colleagues. For myself I am writing in German, generally speaking, a language of contemporary philosophy, like Greek. English is my 7th language. Most modern philosophers have made a play on words if not a pun out of traditional philosophy, which always was some kind of love for wisdom.Now, it became in fact merely a technique of specialization at cooking, burying, etc. Then, they are speaking about the philosophy of cooking, burying, etc. Alas. Continental philosophers if not sick the same way are always getting astonished at international congresses while seeing all kinds of "linguistic games" played by modern philosophers that consider the traditional problematics decayed.
    I am nodding sagely in my living room and pretending I understood every single word you wrote.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I am nodding sagely with ems. Before I nod off, let's get back to your original sentence, which is actually moderately meaningless.

I understand it to mean:

In continental Europe, philosophy, such as that of Hegel (who dealt with many topics [including 'quantity']) can be considered one of the positive sciences.

That's better, but I have little idea of what 'positive sciences' might be.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    In continental Europe, philosophy, such as that of Hegel (who dealt with many topics [including 'quantity']) can be considered one of the positive sciences.

That's better.
    It's a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast