• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

are dominated by a single personality

Hello everyone,

My one aim in all my works is to try and arouse in the individual the effort and determination to develop his full capacities, his highest possibilities. One thing I want you to realize at the start, that it is not so much ability, as it is the will to do that counts. Ability is very plentiful, but organizing initiative and creative power are not plentiful. It is easy to get employes, but to get someone to train them is harder. Their abilities must be directed to the work they can do. They must be shown how, while at this work, to conserve their energy and they must be taught to work in harmony with others, for most business concerns are dominated by a single personality.

Does "are dominated by a single personality" imply that a company needs a leader to direct the work of employees? If yes, I can't undersand the author's logic. Employees must be taught to work in harmony with others etc. because companies need a leader? Or do I misunderstand the meaning of "for" and "for" doesn't mean because? In my opinion, employees should be taught and directed to increase the productivity of their work and hence the productivity of the company, not because they need a leader?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: are dominated by a single personality

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone,

My one aim in all my works is to try and arouse in the individual the effort and determination to develop his full capacities, his highest possibilities. One thing I want you to realize at the start, that it is not so much ability, as it is the will to do that counts. Ability is very plentiful, but organizing initiative and creative power are not plentiful. It is easy to get employes, but to get someone to train them is harder. Their abilities must be directed to the work they can do. They must be shown how, while at this work, to conserve their energy and they must be taught to work in harmony with others, for most business concerns are dominated by a single personality.

Does "are dominated by a single personality" imply that a company needs a leader to direct the work of employees? If yes, I can't undersand the author's logic. Employees must be taught to work in harmony with others etc. because companies need a leader? Or do I misunderstand the meaning of "for" and "for" doesn't mean because? In my opinion, employees should be taught and directed to increase the productivity of their work and hence the productivity of the company, not because they need a leader?

Thank you.
    It looks like nonsense to me. Where did you find it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: are dominated by a single personality

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you.
    My interpretation of this passage (which, as Bhai seems to point out, is not written very clearly) is about the same as yours.