Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 8
    #1

    Usage of the word "each"

    I want to ask anyone that the following sentence

    "Each man and each woman are/is " which is correct?

    I want to know the pure grammar of this.

    Anyone who knows please answers me and describe more detail.

    Thank you in advance


    Ps. If my usage of English Language is poor,please forgives me because I'm not used to using it.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,849
    #2

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by ballest123 View Post
    I want to ask anyone that the following sentence

    "Each man and each woman are/is " which is correct?

    I want to know the pure grammar of this.

    Anyone who knows please answers me and describe more detail.

    Thank you in advance


    Ps. If my usage of English Language is poor,please forgives me because I'm not used to using it.
    Welcome to the forum.

    Can you post a whole sentence so that we can see what sort of thing you want to say which starts with "Each man and each woman is/are ..."?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 8
    #3

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    Can you post a whole sentence so that we can see what sort of thing you want to say which starts with "Each man and each woman is/are ..."?



    OK I'm so sorry.

    The whole sentence is "Each man and each woman ....... consider how to react to such an emergence."
    a. have to
    b. has to

    Which is correct?

    Thank you

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,849
    #4

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by ballest123 View Post
    OK I'm so sorry.

    The whole sentence is "Each man and each woman ....... consider how to react to such an emergence."
    a. have to
    b. has to

    Which is correct?

    Thank you
    So you didn't want to know whether to use "is" or "are"!

    That's a very wordy sentence. Is this a test question or did you write it? If you wrote it, it would be much easier to just say "Everyone ..." instead of "Each man and each woman" or are you talking about a specific set of people, such as "Each man and woman in this room ..."?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 8
    #5

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    So you didn't want to know whether to use "is" or "are"!

    That's a very wordy sentence. Is this a test question or did you write it? If you wrote it, it would be much easier to just say "Everyone ..." instead of "Each man and each woman" or are you talking about a specific set of people, such as "Each man and woman in this room ..."?

    It's a test question. I didn't write it.

    But I just want to know which is correct in this case "have to or has to".

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,849
    #6

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    Did you get it right or wrong when you did the test? If you have not yet submitted your answers for a test, we don't help you in advance. That is something you need to remember about this forum.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 8
    #7

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    OK Thank you for your suggestion.

  4. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,697
    #8

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    Hello, ballest123.
    Have you done the test yet?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 8
    #9

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    No I haven't

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,849
    #10

    Re: Usage of the word "each"

    Then please complete the test on your own, submit your answers and then later, when you have the results, look at them to see which ones you answered incorrectly. If you don't understand why your answer was incorrect (or you disagree with what you are told is the correct answer - it does happen occasionally), please come back to the forum and ask for our assistance.

    A test is designed to find out what you know, not what we know.

    Good luck with your test.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jun-2012, 13:27
  2. [Grammar] Proper usage of the word "o'clock"
    By cousette in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-May-2009, 21:17
  3. [General] the usage of the insidious small word "as".
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2008, 18:09
  4. Is this a correct usage of the word "zeal"?
    By soulfly in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2008, 11:54
  5. Word usage "experience"
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2004, 21:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •