Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

1- I would like to know why someone would say:

(a)- I want to get my car repaired in closely located shops....

and not saying:
(b)- I want to get my car repaired in close shops.

2- Another example:

(a)- We regularly receive newly arriving products....
(b)- We regularly receive new products.

Is (a) exactly the same as (b) in both examples? Is one of them is wrong, or more correct (or maybe more precise) than the other?

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

1- I would like to know why someone would say:

(a)- I want to get my car repaired in closely located shops....

and not saying:
(b)- I want to get my car repaired in close shops.

2- Another example:

(a)- We regularly receive newly arriving products....
(b)- We regularly receive new products.

Is (a) exactly the same as (b) in both examples? Is one of them is wrong, or more correct (or maybe more precise) than the other?

Thanks!

1 (a) and (b) are unnatural English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We might say "I want to get my car repaired in a nearby garage" but not "closely located". In BrE, you don't get your car repaired in a shop. In AmE, I think that when your car is in the repair facility, it can be described as being "in the shop".

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks for your replies!

For 2 (a), I would like to know why it is not natural to say it. Do you mean that it is not natural to use an adverb in modifying an adjective? or just because of the way it is being said in the sentence context?

For 1 (a) and (b), nearby is certainly the right keyword. Thanks!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The problem is your choice of words and the word order. Of course adverbs can modify adjectives. She was smiling radiently when she accepted her medal. It was a radiently smiling Sarah who accepted her medal for first place.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She was smiling radiently when she accepted her medal. It was a radi[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]ntly smiling Sarah who accepted her medal for first place.
You are posting from your phone again, Barb.;-)

It's radiantly.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I am still wondering why the sentence: "It was a radiantly smiling Sarah who accepted her medal for first place." is natural, and the sentence: "We regularly receive newly arriving products." is not!

If I want to use this sentence more correctly with an adverb that modifies an adjective, which words can I choose instead of "newly arriving"?

Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'We regularly receive freshly baked cakes.'

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Newly arriving" is not the same as "newly arrived" -- that latter is a bit better.
This is one of our newly arrived models. It's the first time in our showroom and people seem to really like it, though I haven't tried it out myself yet.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Newly arriving" is not the same as "newly arrived" -- that latter is a bit better.
This is one of our newly arrived models. It's the first time in our showroom and people seem to really like it, though I haven't tried it out myself yet.

Thanks for your reply. I have now better understanding of the point in the context that you wrote.

I would like to know whether I can use "newly arriving" in a bit different context: In our showroom some products are shown for the first time, but we expect to receive other new ones which are expected to be on their way to our showroom. So does the sentence "We regularly receive newly arriving products" make sense in this context?

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your reply. I have now better understanding of the point in the context that you wrote.

I would like to know whether I can use "newly arriving" in a bit different context: In our showroom some products are shown for the first time, but we expect to receive other new ones which are expected to be on their way to our showroom. So does the sentence "We regularly receive newly arriving products" make sense in this context?

Thanks!

No. I can't think of a context where that combination of words would work. I can't quite put my finger on it but perhaps it is the combination of "we receive" with "arriving products", although my main problem is the phrase "newly arriving products". It just doesn't sound natural.

We regularly receive (or "take delivery of") new products.
New products arrive on a regular basis.
We have new products arriving regularly.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. I can't think of a context where that combination of words would work. I can't quite put my finger on it but perhaps it is the combination of "we receive" with "arriving products", although my main problem is the phrase "newly arriving products". It just doesn't sound natural.

We regularly receive (or "take delivery of") new products.
New products arrive on a regular basis.
We have new products arriving regularly.

I agree entirely with ems, Fabulous_Learner.

Whatever the reason for your determination to shoehorn 'arriving products' into a sentence, you'd be well advised to forget it.

Rover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would like to thank all who replied. Your valuable replies let me learn effectively.

Rover, I will take your advice thankfully and not use "newly arriving", but I was not determined or even inclined to use it. I am just learning the most correct way of expressing in different contexts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.