[Grammar] In the previous question/to the previous question - simple grammar check

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcolts

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
Ex1. I have already answered the question in the previous question.

Ex2. I have already said the answer in the previous question.

Ex3. I already covered this question in the previous question.

Ex4. I have already answered the question in a previous question.

Ex5. I have already said the answer in a previous question.

Ex6. I have already said the answer in an answer to a previous question.

Ex7. I have already said the answer in the answer to a previous question.

Ex8. I have already said the answer in the answer to the previous question.

Ex9. I have already said the answer in answer to a/the previous question.

Ex10. I have already answered this question in my answer to a/the previous question.

Q. Are all of the above grammatically correct? (The accurateness for this is crucial as I may be using them in a presentation/oral exam.).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

I think that the reason why nobody has responded to this thread is becasue it's a little bit overwhelming to see so many sentences. Let's take the first one.

Ex1. I have already answered the question in the previous question.

No, I don't think that this correct. Are you trying to say that the person has already answered this question when he responded to a previous question? If so, I would say, 'I have already answered the question when I responded to a previous question'. There are other options.

Let's see if there are other opinions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The repetition of the word "question" each time makes them sound very clunky to my ears. I would prefer something like "My previous response has already answered that question" or "That question was dealt with in my last response".

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Ex2. I have already said the answer in the previous question.

This doesn't sound good to my ears. If you answer a question, you're already "saying the answer", so you don't have to use the verb "say".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that the reason why nobody has responded to this thread is because it's a little bit overwhelming to see so many sentences.
:up:

That's why I did not respond.

vcolts

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
@Chicken Sandwich:

You mentioned that it's incorrect to say "I have answered... in the previous question."

I am getting a conflicing view on this matter. I also asked on another site since I was not getting any response on my previous thread. In the previous question/to the previous question - simple grammar check?

While the main point of your post does make sense and I thank you for it, I am not so sure if it's incorrect. But it does make me wonder if it's correct to keep such a structure because I am not comfortable with that sentence either (precisely the reason why I asked).

Last edited:

vcolts

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
Ways to state that you have already answered

Ex1. I have already answered the question when responding to a previous question.

Ex2. I have already answered this (the question) in a previous question.

Ex3. I have already answered the question when I responded to a previous question.

Are all of the above grammatically and academically (formal presentation) acceptable?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I moved your last post to this thread. Starting a new thread could lead to confusion.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
@Chicken Sandwich:
I am getting a conflicing view on this matter. I also asked on another site since I was not getting any response on my previous thread. In the previous question/to the previous question - simple grammar check?

While the main point of your post does make sense and I thank you for it, I am not so sure if it's incorrect. But it does make me wonder if it's correct to keep such a structure because I am not comfortable with that sentence either (precisely the reason why I asked).

OK, fair enough, I shouldn't have said that they were incorrect, in fact that's not really what I meant. The first two just sounded awkward to me, as the posters in that other forum also have indicated. Emsr2d2's alternatives to the first sentence sound much better to me.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Ways to state that you have already answered

Ex1. I have already answered the question when responding to a previous question.

I would prefer 'in my response to' rather than 'when responding to', as the latter seems to me imply that you had said 'Here's the answer to the next question'; perhaps you could just switch the prepositions. I don't mind the repetition. To competent speakers you could say '...in my response to the previous one.' But I think a bit of repetition is appropriate for most students. In class instructions clarity is more important than elegance.

This would be OK if true ;-) . Sometimes it is the wording of a question that provides the answr to a later one. But I don't think the parenthesis is necessary.
Ex3. I have already answered the question when I responded to a previous question.
This is as acceptable as Ex 1. I would still prefer 'in my response'.

Are all of the above grammatically and academically (formal presentation) acceptable?

Thanks in advance

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I would prefer 'in my response to' rather than 'when responding to', as the latter seems to me imply that you had said 'Here's the answer to the next question'; perhaps you could just switch the prepositions. I don't mind the repetition. To competent speakers you could say '...in my response to the previous one.' But I think a bit of repetition is appropriate for most students. In class instructions clarity is more important than elegance.

This would be OK if true ;-) . Sometimes it is the wording of a question that provides the answr to a later one. But I don't think the parenthesis is necessary.
This is as acceptable as Ex 1. I would still prefer 'in my response'.

Thanks in advance

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I had this follow-up PM from the OP:

Just to be clear on what you said: It is okay to use Ex2 to express that I have already given my answer for the current question in my response to a previous one while it is not recommended to do so, right?

I made no such recommendation, though someone else may have done and may have had good reason for it. This is a very long thread, and I don't mean to trawl through it. I have no more time for this issue. I don't discuss language in PMs.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.