What is the meaning of "are sitting on their suitcases,"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Surely, this is a figurative meaning but I think it means that they are ready for going to Egypt.

Context:

About 20 of Mahmoud's supporters, among them Denis Cuspert, also known as Deso Dogg, a Berlin-based former rapper who converted to Islam, have already traveled to Egypt. Another 30 Islamists "are sitting on their suitcases," a senior security official told SPIEGEL. Salafists made headlines in Germany earlier this year after high-profile clashes with police and members of a far-right group following demonstrations in various cities.

Source:German Islamists Travel to Egypt - SPIEGEL ONLINE

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think so too.

Makes me think of people waiting for a delayed train at the station and, for want of free seats, they use their suitcases.

charliedeut

Last edited:

mathias_r

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
-not a teacher-

This is a word by word translation of a German idiom. It means that you are ready to leave (having done all preparations) but are still waiting for someone/something to signal you to go now. Or you are simply waiting for the day of departure, which is probably the case here. This idiom is not limited to travelling, you can also hear it from people ready to leave an event or someone moving out from his house who is waiting for the moving van to arrive.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think so too.

Makes me think of people waiting for a delayed train at the station and, for want of free sits, they use their suitcases.

charliedeut

Free seats. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.