Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Sorry for so many questions!
1. Does this "As might have been expected" denote past perfect or past? Is it the same tense as "confirmed" in the main clause or one tense prior to it? I've always thought that in many cases "have+pp", other than present perfect, is a relative tense, that is, one tense prior to the main clause's verb.
2. Does this exercise denote "physical activity" or "workout"?
3. Does this conditional "Even if he had heart disease, symptoms would not be evident without extraordinary effort." imply "a counter-factual conditional of the present" in the past? Normally, it should be "Even if he had had...symptoms wouldn't have been.."

pr85
ex)I treated a farmer who worked very hard...Although he had no significant risk factors for angina, I suggested that he might be having heart pain and explained that we would see if medication made it better...he'd become depressed and abusive towards his wife.
..Eventually, the patient consulted a heart doctor. A stress test was ordered even though it didn't come close to simulating his usual everyday exertions. As might have been expected, the test confirmed that he could exercise at the maximum heart rate for his age without experiencing heart pain. Even if he had heart disease, symptoms would not be evident without extraordinary effort. The patient was offered a far more satisfactory explanation for his chest pain...

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If all the three questions are burdensome, you can answer only one as I don't want to lose any of them.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
3. Does this conditional "Even if he had heart disease, symptoms would not be evident without extraordinary effort." imply "a counter-factual conditional of the present" in the past? Normally, it should be "Even if he had had...symptoms wouldn't have been.."

This to me implies that he did not have a heart disease, but if he did, symptoms would only manifest under conditions of strenuous physical activity.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The translation goes not "sports-like workout", but "be active or move", so I wondered what it exactly meant. Probably it was a liberal translation as even in dictionaries I can't find plain activity of "exercise".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.Why isn't it "wouldn't have been" for past conditionals?
2.Do you think "extraordinary effort" means the patient's "strenuous physical activity" like running 100 meters at his possible best speed or doctors' effort to find out the symptom? The translation is just "hard work", whose subject(doer) is ambiguous.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think this is a vivid description of the past conditional as if it were described from the present perspective in the past. Isn't it?

Even if he had heart disease, symptoms would not be evident without extraordinary effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.