• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

be redone/refurbished/redecorated/rennovated/done up

Hi,

During the 2nd World War many palaces in St.Petersburg were destroyed because of daily bombardments. After the termination of the war they were restored mostly to the original design. The facades of the buildings suffered much more severely than the interiors, but the reconstruction works mostly took place inside.

I'd like to ask you about the verbs that best suit the context about reconstructing the palaces. The verb "reconstruct" is the clearest one, but it's also important to know which other words we can use to speak about repairs outside and inside. The repairs inside mostly concern reconstructing the walls, floors, and ceilings, while the repairs outside involve doing the facade:

1) The facade of the palace was redone/refurbished/redecorated/rennovated/done up in 1954 and the reconstruction works lasted nearly six years

2) The interiors of the palace (rooms and galleries) was redone/refurbished/redecorated/rennovated/done up in 1954 and the reconstruction works lasted nearly six years

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: be redone/refurbished/redecorated/rennovated/done up

Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    Hi,

During the 2nd World War many palaces in St.Petersburg were destroyed because of daily bombardments. After the termination of the war they were restored mostly to the original design. The facades of the buildings suffered much more severely than the interiors, but the reconstruction works mostly took place inside.

I'd like to ask you about the verbs that best suit the context about reconstructing the palaces. The verb "reconstruct" is the clearest one, but it's also important to know which other words we can use to speak about repairs outside and inside. The repairs inside mostly concern reconstructing the walls, floors, and ceilings, while the repairs outside involve doing the facade:

1) The faade of the palace was redone/refurbished/redecorated/renovated/done up in 1954 and the reconstruction works lasted nearly six years

2) The interiors of the palace (rooms and galleries) were redone/refurbished/redecorated/renovated/done up in 1954 and the reconstruction works lasted nearly six years

Thanks
    I would use "renovated" in both sentences.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

"was" in the sentence with interiors was a typo, of course. Anyway, thanks for correcting it

As far as I know "redecorate" means just to paint a room or put a new wallpaper there. What about "refurbish", "do up", and "redo"? Do they mean something different?

Thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    "was" in the sentence with interiors was a typo, of course. Anyway, thanks for correcting it

As far as I know "redecorate" means just to paint a room or put a new wallpaper there. What about "refurbish", "do up", and "redo"? Do they mean something different?

Thanks in advance
    I'd say that "do up" and "redo" are colloquial terms which mean pretty much the same as "redecorate". I think "refurbish" is a bit old-fashioned and suggests something a bit more serious than "redecorate" but not as serious as "renovate". This is just my personal opinion.