• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Place for registering marriages

Hello,

What do you call th place where people officially register their marriages by leaving signatures in special documents and exchanging rings? I've heard of "wedding house" and "registry office", but I'm not sure that these are idiomatic terms.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Place for registering marriages

In the UK, it's the register office, though many people call it the registry office.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Bear in mind that in the UK, if you get married in church, that is where you exchange rings and sign the marriage register. You do not have to visit the register office to register the marriage again.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Bear in mind that in the UK, if you get married in church, that is where you exchange rings and sign the marriage register. You do not have to visit the register office to register the marriage again.
    Interesting. In Russia when people want to get married in church they usually do it before or after visiting a register office. As far as I know newlyweds in my country never go only to church because there you can't sign anything. We sign documents in a different place. In the Soviet times, though, no one was able to attend the church because religion was prohibited and many churches were ransacked. Now everything has changed and since the fall of communism in 1991 we've going to church if we want.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the US, you need to obtain a license to marry from an officer of the county where you live. It's the "Register of Wills" in my state.

Once the license is obtained, you can have any religious official or Justice of the Peace do the actual wedding ceremony. "Justices of the Peace" are the civil officers who can marry.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Each state will have its own list of people who are athorized to marry a couple on behalf of the state.

In Maine, for example, a notary can do a wedding ceremony. Here in Pennsylvania, you don't need an officiant at all, as long as you have two witnesses (but it is a different license, so you need to let the courthouse know before you go that route).

You get your license from the courthouse first, then you have your ceremony, whether it's in a church, your backyard, a hot air balloon or the courthouse itself, and then, after you have signed and the officiant/witnesses have signed, you file that license with the courthouse to be entered into the official records. Also, your license is only good for a certain period of time. For most states, you usually have to wait a few days after you get it (there are ways to get an exception) and you usually have to get married within 1-3 months. If you wait too long, you have to get a new license.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.