• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

in the country

Hi,

We all know the expression "in the country" used for travelling out of town to suburbs. I would like to make sure that I understand how to use the expression correctly.

1) I spent all summer in the country cycling, fishing, and just having a rest in my house

2) I'd like to go in/to the country to visit my friends on Friday evening when I finish work

3) He has just returned from the country where he spent his weekend

Are all these examples correct?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: in the country

Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    Hi,

We all know the expression "in the country" used for travelling out of town to the suburbs. I would like to make sure that I understand how to use the expression correctly.

1) I spent all summer in the country cycling, fishing, and just having a rest in at my house. (You might have to make it clear that you have a house in the country as well as a house in town if that's what you mean).

2) I'd like to go in/to the country to visit my friends on Friday evening when I finish work.

3) He has just returned from the country where he spent his weekend.

Are all these examples correct?

Thanks
    See above for my suggestions etc.

I would have to disagree that "in the country" means "travelling out of town to the suburbs". In the UK at least, "the suburbs" are still an urban area, they are just the outer parts of a city or a town, but you wouldn't normally go to the suburbs for cycling, fishing etc.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thanks for the reply!!!

It has now become a little bit clearer how to use the expression "in the country", but I still have some questions. By the way, since you've made some corrections in my text (thanks a lot for that) I'd like to ask you about them as well.

1) Why "... the suburbs ..."? I wasn't spaking about any particular ones, but just about suburbs in general. I agree, however, that are only several suburbs near St.Petersburg, which we all know about. Is that the reason for using "the"?

2) Why "... at my house ..."? Does it mean that we're going to spend time not only inside, but also outside near the house (e.g., in the yard)?

Now about the sentences themselves.

#1 is clear. #2 and #3 still raise some questions. When we say "
    I'd like to go
    to the country to visit my friends on Friday evening when I finish work" how will a listener know whether we are speaking about the suburbs (which is the intended meaning) or about some country (France, Belgium, USA, etc.)?

The same about #3. Maybe a person has returned from a particular country in Europe, for instance, rather than from the suburbs. How can we figure out the meaning?

In Russia suburbs are always places that are out of town. We have the centre of a city (the downtown), districts that surround the center and the outskirts. But suburbs are never part of the cities themselves. These are mostly places where we can relax in our small private houses, go cycling, fishing, swimming, pick up mushrooms and berries, etc. I realize that it's not always like this in other countries.

Best

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks for the reply!!!

It has now become a little bit clearer how to use the expression "in the country", but I still have some questions. By the way, since you've made some corrections in my text (thanks a lot for that) I'd like to ask you about them as well.

1) Why "... the suburbs ..."? I wasn't spaking about any particular ones, but just about suburbs in general. I agree, however, that are only several suburbs near St.Petersburg, which we all know about. Is that the reason for using "the"? "The suburbs" can be/is used to reference areas outside a city and while the term is not specific in terms of municipal identification, "the" usually/always is used preceding the term.

2) Why "... at my house ..."? Does it mean that we're going to spend time not only inside, but also outside near the house (e.g., in the yard)? Yes.

Now about the sentences themselves.

#1 is clear. #2 and #3 still raise some questions. When we say "
    I'd like to go
    to the country to visit my friends on Friday evening when I finish work" how will a listener know whether we are speaking about the suburbs (which is the intended meaning) or about some country (France, Belgium, USA, etc.)? I can understand your confusion, because it seems to violate the rule of spcificity with regard to articles. But consider that "the country" IS a specific area outside the city. To use "a" in that context would imply that you wanted to visit a nation---but I don't think the context of "...on Friday evening when I finish work" would fit very well.

The same about #3. Maybe a person has returned from a particular country in Europe, for instance, rather than from the suburbs. How can we figure out the meaning? To use "the country" would mean he/she returned from somewhere outside the city, unless he/she said "....from the country of (name)". To say that he/she returned from "a country" would most likely prompt the question, "What country?"

In Russia suburbs are always places that are out of town. We have the centre of a city (the downtown), districts that surround the center and the outskirts. But suburbs are never part of the cities themselves. These are mostly places where we can relax in our small private houses, go cycling, fishing, swimming, pick up mushrooms and berries, etc. I realize that it's not always like this in other countries.

Best
    I hope this helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Exclamation Re: in the country

Thanks a lot!!!

Just one more question about #2. Let's say it like this: "I
    'd like to go
    to the country to visit my friends"

Here I've eliminated the end of the sentence. Is this version confusing? If you heard it, would you ask a speaker to specify what he really means and where he intends to go?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Just one more question about #2. Let's say it like this: "I'd like to go to the country to visit my friends"

Here I've eliminated the end of the sentence. Is this version confusing? No.
    If you heard it, would you ask a speaker to specify what he really means and where he intends to go? No. It's clear,