• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

come down

I have a doubt about what preposition English people use after the verb "come down" when talking about prices...

Ex. Did he come down on the price?
    Ex. Yes he did. He came down to 12,000 dollars.

Now, the question is: are ON and TO the same? or are they used differently? Can you explain me if there are any differences between these prepositions with the verb "come down"?
    Thanks so much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: come down

"To" is used with a specific value, as you have done. You would not say "he came down on 12,000 dollars." You would not say "he came down to the price."

You could say "he came down to the price I wanted." Again, that is a specific thing, "the price I wanted."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    "To" is used with a specific value, as you have done. You would not say "he came down on 12,000 dollars." You would not say "he came down to the price."

You could say "he came down to the price I wanted." Again, that is a specific thing, "the price I wanted."
    OK..so "to" with the price, with the value or in the expression "to come down to the price", and what about "on"? Can "on" be used only in the expression "to come down on the price" or do you use it even in other particular expressions (always with "come down")....?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, read what I wrote again. You would NOT use "came down to the price" unless you then continue on to specify what price you were talking about.