Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello! I'm an author who has been working on brushing up my grammar by practicing line-edits on my own manuscript. However, there are some spots I'm not quite sure about...

1. (Comma placement) She kept her gaze at her feet, not wanting to look at the approaching dais before her (comma?) or at the great black throne that crowned the room.
I know you're only supposed to use a comma if there are two independent clauses (or so I think). I wasn't sure if "black throne" and "crowned" were the subject and verb, or if "she" at the very beginning is still the main subject.

2. (Lie vs. lay)
Her blood chilled at the memory of what lay beyond those doors...
The pieces of the mirror’s shattered surface lay on the filthy floor below...

Did I get it right? If I didn't, could you please explain why so I'll know better next time? Lie vs. lay is terribly confusing to me.

Thank you so much for taking a look at my thread!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Her blood chilled at the memory of what lay beyond those doors...
The pieces of the mirror’s shattered surface lay on the filthy floor below...

Did I get it right? If I didn't, could you please explain why so I'll know better next time? Lie vs. lay is terribly confusing to me.
Welcome to the forum, writekdjones. :hi:

Your two sentences are correct.

lay/laid laid - put (somebody/something) in a position.

lie/lay/lain - be in a position.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome from me, too.:-D
1. (Comma placement) She kept her gaze at her feet, not wanting to look at the approaching dais before her (comma?) or at the great black throne that crowned the room.
I know you're only supposed to use a comma if there are two independent clauses (or so I think). I wasn't sure if "black throne" and "crowned" were the subject and verb, or if "she" at the very beginning is still the main subject.

No comma is necessary in my opinion, but you will often see one in places like that, where it is helpful in breaking up a long sentence and aiding understanding.

You will observe that we prefer to receive unrelated questions in separate threads.

Rover

writekdjones

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will observe that we prefer to receive unrelated questions in separate threads.

Rover

Thanks for answering my question, Rover, and for letting me know. I'll do so next time. =)

As for your answer, that's what confuses me. It seems some punctuation is optional, or at least, you have choices. (Not always, but sometimes.)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

writekdjones

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum, writekdjones. :hi:

lay/laid laid - put (somebody/something) in a position.

lie/lay/lain - be in a position.

Thank you, 5jj, for the welcome, as well as answering my question. I appreciate it. =)

Your examples make sense for me. I always tend to "muddy up" lie/lay in my head, so thank you for simplifying their uses and meanings for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.