Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
John,how did you raise such perfect, high-achieving children? Is it because you’re Chinese?”
“I’m not Chinese.”
It is true. I am not Chinese. But believe me, I have found a method that works: a little technique I call the “Panda Father”.
For example, when one of my daughters says to me, “ Daddy, I don’t want to practice the marimba all day,” I respond, “ If you don’t, I’m going to cut your arm off.”
She says, “No you won’t,” and walks away to check her Facebook page.
This is the Panda Father method working at its best.
Many Western parents are probably aghast at my Panda Father methods. However, you have to be tough. For example, as far as I know, here are a few things that I never let my children do:
Have fun.
Score a B or worse.
Receive any compliments for anything.
It’s all part of the Panda Father technique: don’t get bogged down in the minutia of your children’s lives. For example, once, after my daughters refused to stay up late memorizing the periodic table in Urdu, I took their presents from under the Christmas tree, threw them on the driveway, and then drove back and forth over them in our minivan while screaming, “ I bet you wished you’d studied now!”
The Panda Father is willing to go to any length to help his children achieve academic success.
What many Western parents refuse to accept is that children actually want tough love her. When I demand that my daughter keep her bedroom tidy, I show that I love her. When she demands $40 to clean her room, it shows that she understands Adam Smith and the free market, an important part of scoring a five on the AP macroeconomics exam. This just proves the Panda Father Method.
Every child can get a perfect SAT score if you yell loudly enough.
It’s true there are times when situations arise that test even my advanced child-raising skills. The wise Panda Father knows just what to say: ask your Tiger Mother.

The purpose of this article is to _____________.

A. praise Panda Father and Tiger Mother methods

B. make fun of tough parenting methods

C. show children learn best when deprived of fun

D.
give advice on child-raising skills

Which one is better? From where can you find supporting details?

Is the author for or against the method? I am really confused.

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jasonlulu_2000;914223[SIZE=3 said:
[/SIZE]

The purpose of this article is to _____________.

A. praise Panda Father and Tiger Mother methods

B.
make fun of tough parenting methods :tick:

C. show children learn best when deprived of fun

D.
give advice on child-raising skills

Jasonlulu, you'll find the entire "Panda Father" article at John Kelly - The Panda Father technique: Go to any length for success

The article was written by John Kelly, a columnist known for his humorous observations about life's offbeat moments!

In my opinion, Kelly was making fun of tough parenting methods.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your help!

As far as this passage is concerned, how do we know the author is making fun of this method? Can you point out some sentences in the passage?

"This is the Panda Father method working at its best.

This just proves the Panda Father Method."

Are these two sentences ironic ?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your help!

As far as this passage is concerned, how do we know the author is making fun of this method? Can you point out some sentences in the passage?

"This is the Panda Father method working at its best.

This just proves the Panda Father Method."

Are these two sentences ironic ?
In my opinion, yes! Irony: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning. Irony can also be a form of sarcasm.
'As far as this passage is concerned, how do we know the author is making fun of this method? Can you point out some sentences in the passage?'
You will find several humorous examples throughout the article. But, for me, the classic example of the author's humor is found in his last two sentences:
It's true there are times when situations arise that test even my advanced child-raising skills. The savvy Panda Father knows just what to say: "Ask your mother." :)

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry for my not getting the point.

But what is the humor about this sentence It's true there are times when situations arise that test even my advanced child-raising skills. The savvy Panda Father knows just what to say: "Ask your mother."

Thanks again for your patience!
Jason

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However tough a disciplinarian he pretends to be, the 'Panda Father' is sometimes compelled to put the responsibility onto his wife for making a decision on some child-rearing problem.

Put like that, it doesn't sound a bit funny, but it's the only way I can explain it.

Rover

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The expectations to practice the marimba all day and stay up all night to learn the periodic table in Urdubare so "over the top" that you are supposed to see the absurdity. The fact that his daughter ignores him and goes to check Facebook or expects money for fulfilling her household responsibilities reflects how ineffective his parenting is. It's all tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not a very good text to use in a test IMO- it depends on external knowledge, so it may well not be clear to learners in an exam what the writer intends.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
John,how did you raise such perfect, high-achieving children? Is it because you’re a magician?”
“I’m not a magician.”
It is true. I am not a magician. But believe me, I have found a method that works: a little technique I call the “Encouraging Father”.
For example, when one of my daughters says to me, “ Daddy, I don’t want to practice the violin all day,” I respond, “ If you don’t, I’m going to take away your cellphone.”
She says, “No you won’t” but walks away to practice the violin.
This is the Encouraging Father method working at its best.
Many Western parents are probably aghast at my Encouraging Father methods. However, you have to be tough. For example, as far as I know, here are a few things that I never let my children do:
Have fun before they have finished their homework.
Score a B or worse.
Become complacent about a subject because they feel they are "good enough".

It’s all part of the Encouraging Father technique: don’t get bogged down in the minutiae of your children’s lives. For example, once, after my daughters refused to stay up late memorizing the periodic table [STRIKE]in Urdu[/STRIKE], I took their presents from under the Christmas tree and locked the presents in the attic, telling my daughters they could have their presents once they had learned the periodic table.

The Encouraging Father is willing to go to extraordinary lengths to help his children achieve academic success.

What many Western parents refuse to accept is that children actually want tough love. When I demand that my daughter keep her bedroom tidy, I show that I love her. When she demands $40 to clean her room, it shows that she understands Adam Smith and the free market, an important aspect of the AP macroeconomics exam. This just proves the Encouraging Father Method.
Every child will work harder if you yell loudly enough.
It’s true there are times when situations arise that test even my [STRIKE]advanced [/STRIKE]child-raising skills. The wise father knows just what to say: ask your mother.

I agree that this is an unfair piece to use as a test. The humour in it is very low-key and the piece itself could, with just a few modifications, be turned into a perfectly serious (if a bit over the top) article on how to encourage your children to do well in school. I have made some changes to the original and marked them in red. There are surprisingly few changes but now the article does not read as humourous, or seem to be making fun of anything. You could actually imagine a very strict parent using these methods. If you read my revised version you will see how few points in the text I considered to be the ones which lead to B being the correct answer in the original question. I certainly wouldn't have given this piece to my students and expected them to get the underlying humour or sarcasm.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jasonlulu_2000;914223 [SIZE=3 said:
* I am not Chinese. But believe me, I have found a method that works: a little technique I call the Panda Father.
[/SIZE]* It’s true there are times when situations arise that test even my advanced child-raising skills. The wise Panda Father knows just what to say: ask your Tiger Mother.
* A. praise Panda Father and
Tiger Mother methods

Jason, I am curious. What is the source for your original post? Apparently, the article that you received/found is not an exact copy of John Kelly's newspaper column.
Mr. Kelly did not use quotation marks for the words Panda Father. He did not use the words Tiger Mother. And, your copy of the article leaves out entire sentences that appear in Mr. Kelly's column! (e.g. People sometimes say to me: "John, how did you raise such perfect children, high-achieving kids who earn straight As, play concert-level marimba, get the
leads in the school musical and know how to perform tracheotomies on choking bystanders? Is it because you're Chinese?")
Also, the question needs to be asked: why does choice "A" ( praise Panda Father and Tiger Mother methods) include the word 'Tiger' when Tiger Mother was never mentioned in the original column?

I would like to know your source and if that source referenced Mr. Kelly.

Cheers,
A4

Status
Not open for further replies.