Is liaison a term for the pronunciation rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In English pronunciation, usu. a consonant at the end of a word will be pronounced together with the first letter of the second word.
For example, "get it" is pronounced like one word.
Could you tell me what's the term for it? Is it liaison?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Erm, what do you mean by 'like one word' :-?:) A lot of things are pronounced with a continuos stream of air (interrupted at various times by various sorts of consonant. An English-speaking student will call a distated passage of French 'very fast - with no breaks between the words. A French-speaking student will call a dictated passage of English 'très vite, sans aucune espace entre les mots' (or something like that). It's really quite difficult to provide a satisfactory definition for 'word'.

But I know what you mean, really, and I would probably use the word 'elision' (although elision usually [always:-?] involves a syllable being omitted (as in 'he is' -> 'he's'); and in discussing French (in English) I would use the word 'liaison'.

In print, when one letter is joined to another, that is a 'ligature'. (Both 'ligature' and 'liaison' derive from a single latin root, ligare [='to tie'] - not essential information, I admit, but I find it noteworthy.

b

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What about "linking"?

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Erm, what do you mean by 'like one word' :-?:) A lot of things are pronounced with a continuos stream of air (interrupted at various times by various sorts of consonant. An English-speaking student will call a distated passage of French 'very fast - with no breaks between the words. A French-speaking student will call a dictated passage of English 'très vite, sans aucune espace entre les mots' (or something like that). It's really quite difficult to provide a satisfactory definition for 'word'.

But I know what you mean, really, and I would probably use the word 'elision' (although elision usually [always:-?] involves a syllable being omitted (as in 'he is' -> 'he's'); and in discussing French (in English) I would use the word 'liaison'.

In print, when one letter is joined to another, that is a 'ligature'. (Both 'ligature' and 'liaison' derive from a single latin root, ligare [='to tie'] - not essential information, I admit, but I find it noteworthy.

b

Thank you very much for the explanation. I'm afraid I didn't define it properly when I say "like one word". I know in English pronunciation, words are not pronounced one by one. Usually, the end of one word attaches to the beginning of the next word.
e.g.
"get it" is pronounced as [getit] instead of [get] [it]
"fall off" is pronounced as
[f[FONT=&#23435]ɔ
: l[FONT=&#23435]ɔ[/FONT]f]
Is this kind of phenomenon called elision or liaision as a term in pronunciation? Can I use "the connecting or linking of two words" to describe it just as tzfujimino mentioned?
[/FONT]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Is this kind of phenomenon called elision or liaision as a term in pronunciation? Can I use "the connecting or linking of two words" to describe it just as tzfujimino mentioned?
I think your question was understood. As Bob said, neither of these terms is strictly correct, because there's actually nothing elided. Elision requires "the omission of one or more sounds"
Elision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you use the term above? I doubt it, unless the rest of the context explains what you mean, as in ""the connecting or linking of two words, as in [fɔ: lɔf] for 'fall off'"

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank Raymott for the reply. So it seems neither of the terms provided is accurate enough when used without further explanation?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm sure other dear posters have already answered your question. However, you can also have some further information if you simply google 'Co-articulation Effects'. This will definitely give you some other interesting pieces of information about 'elision', 'assimilation', etc.

***not a teacher***

Status
Not open for further replies.