Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When I want to say I communicate with people from different areas very often, is it proper to say I have many communications with those people from different areas?
I'm looking forward to your reply.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe that you are trying to say that you have "frequent communications" with these people. "frequent" here refers to an event, or events, which occurs over and over. You could say, "I have frequent communications with people from different areas."

I agree with your alternative, but I don't think I would pluralize "communication".

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I've just visited COCA (Corpus of Contemporary American English), and found:

'frequent communication' - 23 citations
'frequent communications' - 1 (and some more here: 13 sentences using frequent communications)

:-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't pluralise "communication" either. I would use "I have/I am in regular communication with ..." perhaps more readily than "frequent communication", although I suppose it's possible for it to be frequent but irregular.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm grateful for all of you who gave me suggestions. I have been wondering about a good way to express my idea, and now I get it. Then there's another question: Is it proper to use the collocation of "much communication" or "lots of communication"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm grateful for all of you who gave me suggestions. I have been wondering about a good way to express my idea, and now I get it. Then there's another question: Is it proper to use the collocation of "much communication" or "lots of communication"?
Yes it can be. I was thinking of "a lot of communication". "Lots of ..." is more colloquial.
"much" is more often used negatively here. "I don't have much communication ..."

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes it can be. I was thinking of "a lot of communication". "Lots of ..." is more colloquial.
"much" is more often used negatively here. "I don't have much communication ..."
Thank you for the help. Then there is another question. Since "much" is often used negatively, can "a lot of" be used in formal written English, as in academic writing?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for the help. Then there is another question. Since "much" is often used negatively, can "a lot of" be used in formal written English, as in academic writing?
It depends on a lot of factors. I don't use "a lot of" for academic writing. But I probably wouldn't say "He had much communication ..." Perhaps, "He had a great deal of communication ..."
It's not a big point.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It depends on a lot of factors. I don't use "a lot of" for academic writing. But I probably wouldn't say "He had much communication ..." Perhaps, "He had a great deal of communication ..."
It's not a big point.

Thank you so much!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You might also consider 'frequent dialogue'.

Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:
dialogue (US also dialog)
noun conversation between two or more people as a feature of a book, play, or film.
■ discussion directed towards exploration of a subject or resolution of a problem.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.