Do you italicise titles in the body of an essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hey all, Completely forgot about this and my essay is due in a few hours.

I've written a critical analysis of 3 publications, and for the life of me cannot remember if titles get italicised while talking about them in the body of an essay.

I tried to google the answer, and to my dismay the only time the question came up was when the particular item was the title of the essay.

Do I italicise in the body?

Example:

The Fiddleback is an independent online arts and literary magazine established in 2010 by Jeff Simpson.

I appreciate any and all help given here.

Cheers

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey all, Completely forgot about this and my essay is due in a few hours.

I've written a critical analysis of 3 publications, and for the life of me cannot remember if titles get italicised while talking about them in the body of an essay.

I tried to google the answer, and to my dismay the only time the question came up was when the particular item was the title of the essay.

Do I italicise in the body?

Example:

The Fiddleback is an independent online arts and literary magazine established in 2010 by Jeff Simpson.

I appreciate any and all help given here.

Cheers

You need to set the title apart from the rest of the sentence in some way. I like the use of italics for this, as long as you can be quite sure that the font used in magazine won't be italicised anyway, which would leave your titles unremarkable from the rest of the piece. You can enclose the titles in quotation marks, or put them in bold, but I prefer the use of italics as a general rule.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Cheers.

I couldn't find somewhere to tell the difference between general use of italics, and using italics specifically on titles in academic papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.