Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi all,

I got an e-mail as follows:-

Dear JY,

If this document is acceptable to you, we will circulate the document to everyone within today all being well.

UNQUOTE

I do not understand "all being well" here. What does it mean?

Thanks!

JY

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Within today" is not a natural phrase.

"All being well" means either that all of the people who need to receive the document are in good health and are in the office and able to receive the document.

Or, that if all circumstances go favorably (i.e. there are no "emergencies" that prevent the planned work from being done) the document will be circulated.

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks!

It sounds a bit awkward to me that the phrase "all being well" is added at the end of the sentence. However, I get from you that this is grammatically acceptable, right?

JY

"Within today" is not a natural phrase.

"All being well" means either that all of the people who need to receive the document are in good health and are in the office and able to receive the document.

Or, that if all circumstances go favorably (i.e. there are no "emergencies" that prevent the planned work from being done) the document will be circulated.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's OK. I would say "if all goes well."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, there you go! Go ahead and use it in BrE business e-mails, but not in American ones.
(Here we'd say "God willin' and the creeks don't rise.")

(Well, not really, thought I have on e-mails to people at work that I have a friendly relatinoship with.)

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
so it means "if all goes well"? Could I say "if all being well" instead of just stating all being well at the end of the sentence?

'All being well' is just fine in BE.

Rover

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

(Well, not really, thought I have on e-mails to people at work that I have a friendly relatinoship with.)

I have no clue as to what you mean by the above sentences. :shock: Could you let me know?

Well, there you go! Go ahead and use it in BrE business e-mails, but not in American ones.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is an expression "God willing and the creeks don't rise." It's extremely colloquial. If God wills it to be (the equivalent of "Inshallah"), and no natural disasters occur, like floods that make the creeks rise and make the roads impassable, we will do {whatever}. It's pretty unlikely that God would have an opinion on whether we should so something and take personal actions to stop us, and it's pretty unlikely that a natural disaster would come suddently and prevent it, so the overall meaning is "Yes, that is my plan, (but you never know when something unexpected may prevent a plan from being carried out)."

So, you'll be at the party on Saturday?
Sure, God willing and the creeks don't rise.
Sure, if nothing unexpected happens
Sure, if all goes goes well.
Sure, I'm certainly planning to come.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In a BrE email, I would have put the phrase at the beginning of the sentence and I think I would have used it in a slightly different way.

Everything is ready to be sent out. All being well, all staff will have the email by the end of today.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

'All being well' is an absolute phrase that can be tacked on either at the beginning or the end of a sentence (and sometimes in the middle - given the right punctuation! 'God willing' is another - a bit like inshallah, for people whose God is Allah. There are others - such as 'weather permitting' and 'other things being equal' (which is much neater in Latin: ceteris paribus).

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'All being well' is an absolute phrase that can be tacked on either at the beginning or the end of a sentence (and sometimes in the middle - given the right punctuation! 'God willing' is another - a bit like inshallah, for people whose God is Allah. There are others - such as 'weather permitting' and 'other things being equal' (which is much neater in Latin: ceteris paribus).

b

I was about to start another message with "In BrE, that would be ..." and then I realised that BobK is a BrE speaker! I've never heard or used "Other things being equal ...", only "All things being equal ..."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yours is probably the one most used. The 'other things...' version came to mind because of ceteris (as in 'etcetera'). :)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.