'Set Smbd [somebody] Up' Expression - What did she mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doncaster

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
Hello,

Thank you for an opportunity to ask a question.

I would like to clarify the following: on a dating site, where I hold my profile, I got a message from one girl. It literally says: 'Want to set u up. Can we talk?'.

I have already responded to her and she wrote that she would call me after the Labour Day.

My question is about the expression 'set smbd. up'. It is certain for me that she did not mean anything close to the meaning that was used in the movie title 'Who set up Roger Rabbit?' )))

After long searches over the net I discovered a definition of blind date that says 'When you go on a date with someone you don't know, or when someone sets you up with someone you dont know.'

So what did that girl mean: she would like to invite me for a date or she would like me to introduce to someone?

Thank you in advance for your responses

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

I would like to clarify the following: on a dating site, where I hold my profile, I got a message from one girl. It literally says: 'Want to set u up. Can we talk?'.

I have already responded to her and she wrote that she would call me after the Labour Day.

My question is about the expression 'set smbd. up'. It is certain for me that she did not mean anything close to the meaning that was used in the movie title 'Who set up Roger Rabbit?' )))

After long searches over the net I discovered a definition of blind date that says 'When you go on a date with someone you don't know, or when someone sets you up with someone you dont know.'

So what did that girl mean: she would like to invite me for a date or she would like me to introduce to someone?

Thank you in advance for your responses

Hello, Doncaster.:-D
Welcome to UsingEnglish.
Please see here (3 set (someone) up or set up (someone) e ): Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
I hope it helps.

(Edit) Please click on 1) set (verb)

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

Hello,

I want to set you up. Can we talk?

It means that this person wants to introduce you to someone she knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.