Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
is private tutor redundant?? all tutors are private ,, thats what it means ...

Marccossss

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
well if she is a teacher in the college then she is not giving a private lesson,but a public teacher , giving extra instruction to small groups of students, by definition a tutor gives lessons individually ,that is private apart from the regular lesson,,so a private tutor is redundant

Marccossss

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
to tutor means to give private instruction,,individually,,,if you are giving instruction to students in a college then you are not tutoring , you are giving extra instruction,, because it is not in private,,

Marccossss

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
If she is a teacher giving instruction in the college than she is not a tutor,,she is still a teacher,, the definition of tutor implies private outside instruction aprt from the regular routine,, she is not a tutor ,,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As Gillnetter said, "Not all tutors are private." Any decent dictionary will confirm this.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Marccossss, please note that you can use the Edit Post button to add to your text.

Sentences must begin with a capital letter and commas are used only one at a time.

I am moving this thread to the General Language Discussions forum, where those interested can join in to their hearts' content.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you intend to post here regularly, you should check such fundamental premises before posting.

tu·tor
(t
oomacr.gif
prime.gif
t
schwa.gif
r, ty
oomacr.gif
prime.gif
-)
n.1.a. A private instructor.
b. One that gives additional, special, or remedial instruction.

2. A teacher or teaching assistant in some universities and colleges having a rank lower than that of an instructor.
3. A graduate, usually a fellow, responsible for the supervision of an undergraduate at some British universities.
4. Law The legal guardian of a minor and of the minor's property.
tutor - definition of tutor by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you quite certain that you are a native of the United States and that English is your native language?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Are you quite certain that you are a native of the United States and that English is your native language?
barbb,,d,,,,how could you possibly,, doubt that,,,,, ¿

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
1 a private teacher, especially one who teaches an individual student or a very small group
2 (especially British English) a teacher whose job is to pay special attention to the studies or health, etc. of a student or a group of students his history tutor He was my personal tutor at university.She's in my tutor group at school.
3 (British English) a teacher, especially one who teaches adults or who has a special role in a school or college a part-time adult education tutor
4 (North American English) an assistant lecturer in a college

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1 a private teacher, especially one who teaches an individual student or a very small group
2 (especially British English) a teacher whose job is to pay special attention to the studies or health, etc. of a student or a group of students his history tutor He was my personal tutor at university.She's in my tutor group at school.
3 (British English) a teacher, especially one who teaches adults or who has a special role in a school or college a part-time adult education tutor
4 (North American English) an assistant lecturer in a college

.....and 1 through 4 are definitions/descriptions of :?:

Marccossss

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
So a private tutor is redundant, because the dictionary defines it already, thats my point , I did check fundamental premises(resources to be short and less pretentious) before posting,but it depends on the source,they are all different,not all dictionaries include 2and 3 above,, maybe you should read first before making unneeded attacking remarks and just add to the discussion,I already said what you said yesterday at 6:05,obviously you dont know if it is redundant or not,or you would say so,all that you did was paste something that soemone else said, not your own opinion,,

Marccossss

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
all tutors are your personal tutor,,that is they give you personal or individual attention not received in a class,, tutors are predominantly hired privately and paid for by the student..you can't have a tutor group because tutor is either a noun or a verb,,not an adjective,, but your group can recieve tutoring from a tutor,,usually offered outside of mainstream education, or shadow education,,therefore I say private tutor is redundant,,

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure what you think you can get from this site, if you ignore our guidance as well as dictionary definitions.
It's not redundant. Tutors can teach small groups or provide 1:1 tutoring. A school may provide a tutor for someone who has to miss class due to illness - that's a public tutor, not a private one. Whether you consider "private" to mean individualized instruction or paid for by personal instead of public funds, you can have group tutors or public tutors, so the phrase is not redundant.

Perhaps you could take a look at using capital letters and proper punctuation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Marccosss, you are just wrong. Most British schoolchildren spend ten to twelve years in a tutor group with their form/classs tutor. Those who go on to university will have subject tutors there. British, American and Australian teachers and writers have told you this, and you have been given dictionary definitions. Still you continue to insist on things that are not true. I am closing this thread before learners become needlessly confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.